We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I have searched without success for recent testimony of reliable vendors to rent self-drive car for 3 days? And estimated cost?

Undecided whether taking the ferry or land at Tagbilaran Airport but would base my decision on whichever offers easiest pickup/dropoff of car?

My goal is to drive from one part of island to another so rather avoid a driver and what I envision would be higher cost. No issues driving in Phillipines (excluding Manilla) so please stay focused on the question.

Thanks for any information/advice provided.

60 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

2015 post! Lol!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
1,724 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Self promotion not allowed.

Be careful of these I promise I'm the cheapest posts.

Save Reply
53. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

What is the name and contact number of the car rental self drive?please planning on going to tagbilaran this summer and renting self drive thanks and God bless

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Ethel D, this is a scam, do not rent with them as you will be ripped off and at their mercy. You have no rights to complain and will be charged for any scratch on the car even those already there I suggest to not self drive anyway but if you have to do it, go with a reputable company, not these people.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
1,724 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I agree with LO2.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
339 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

We're in Pamglao right now and we e considered renting a car, but then the owner of the place we're staying gave us a good deal on a scooter instead. Having said that, I don't think Bohol would be too hard to drive on. We just came from Hanoi, where traffic is totally insane. Bohol and Panglao are a breeze, compared to that. Even compared to ho e, I find the roads really quiet here.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

If your itinerary is with in Panglao island, scooter may do. But if you are heading to Chocolate Hills, might as well hire a private car. It is too risky especially along the main highway.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I have rented a car in Davao and driven through Davao city to Panabo, Tagum, Nabunturan and even to the jungles to visit the family of my wife. Of course, I have washed the car before returning it to Europcar. I have also driven a car in Pampanga. I have been in Bohol and I don't see any problem to drive there. The roads are good there. In fact, I'm going to rent a car in Bohol in February. The only problem that there is no rental car companies like Europcar and Avis in Bohol. But most people in the Philippines are good and trustable, in particular if they have their own business, such as car rentals. The last thing they want is to ruin it by negative opinions of the clients.

Edited: 31 August 2017, 03:11
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I've rented cars all over the world, from Thailand to Rhodes, New York to North Africa, London to Lima and i can assure you of one simple truth;

On every forum, across the entire world wide web, when anyone asks the simple question of "can i get a good recommendation for a car hire company".....there will always be those who insist upon spreading horror stories based upon their own entirely subjective experiences.

Have enough sense to realise that this is simply their own perception. Of course there are places that are more dangerous to drive than others, but let's face it, if you take the "wrap everything up in cotton wool and hide in the closet" attitude towards life......you wouldn't do anything worth doing.

I want to hire a car because i want to be able to go where i want, when i want, and quite frankly i class myself as a better driver than 90% of drivers i've experienced globally because in the UK it takes more than a smile and a pair of sandals to pass a driving test.

If you have experience, good reactions and a semblance of critical thought, don't be afraid to hire a car anywhere. Go for it.....life's too short for nonsensical paranioa.

I'll be renting a car in Bohol in May 2018, either from Speed or U-Drive, so i'll get back on here with a review once i get back.

Thanks to those on this thread who actually managed to give constructive useful comments rather than subjective opinions (particularly the long review by Life), it was realy useful in narrowing down my search.

Cheers.

Edited: 01 October 2017, 02:05
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

if you take the "wrap everything up in cotton wool and hide in the closet" attitude towards life......you wouldn't do anything worth doing

-------------------------------

That doesn't apply in this situation.

If you hire a car with driver,

- you will still be doing what you want to do.

- you will still be able to go where you want when you want

- you will still only pay about the same cost as if you drive yourself.

You will also

- have a relaxed trip being chauffeured

- not be responsible for the car in an accident

- not be responsible if some one runs into your car while your car is parked and you are asked to pay because you are a foreigner

- not be asked to pay for existing scratches when you return the car

Here are 2 other situations to think about

- You will not have the same contacts as the driver. Our driver was able to stay in contact with the people running our lunch cruise and was able to tell us not to bother to get to the boat in time for the first cruise as a bus load of Koreans had filled it up. We were able to do something else and only have a short wait for the next lunch cruise.

- This just became apparent to me today after loading a video of my usual driver. Where will you park the car? To protect the car, you will need to stay in resort accommodation that has car parking. Don't bother with a hotel as most will not have a place to park the car over night. Where I stay, there is barely room to get in the car when only parked for 5 minutes. This is fairly typical of Bohol Hotels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUlQdAUZXiA

Reply to: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island