We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I have searched without success for recent testimony of reliable vendors to rent self-drive car for 3 days? And estimated cost?

Undecided whether taking the ferry or land at Tagbilaran Airport but would base my decision on whichever offers easiest pickup/dropoff of car?

My goal is to drive from one part of island to another so rather avoid a driver and what I envision would be higher cost. No issues driving in Phillipines (excluding Manilla) so please stay focused on the question.

Thanks for any information/advice provided.

60 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

The cheapest self drive rental will be a sign on a notice board at your hotel.

You will find though it is no cheaper to drive yourself.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

My issue is I am switching lodging midweek during trip so going from 6340 Bohol to Anda, Bohol which exceeds 60 miles. I'd rather pay the cost to drive myself if anyone can recommend reputable self-drive car rental vendor in Tagbilaran City airport or ferry terminal area?

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

You still haven't provided a good reason for a self drive car..

How do you get the car back to Tagbilaran?

There are 3 Trip Advisor recommended drivers for Bohol. They can pick you up any where and drop you any where. Just ask them for a quote.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g294245-c188959/Ph…

I just googled car hire companies on Bohol and from the prices I saw, you will most likely find it cheaper to be driven around.

From the Trip advisor list, several people posted that Boyet Bensi has done a whole day tour for P2000. That includes car, fuel and driver for up to 3 people. Compare that to the cost of the drive yourself cars.

Edited: 19 March 2015, 13:54
Calgary
Level Contributor
976 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

"You still haven't provided a good reason for a self drive car.."

I didn't realize he needed to ......

If his group exceeds one person, the price likely justifies it .....

OP: Can't answer your question that you so politely asked people to answer. Unfortunately lotsa folks will fixate on answering questions you didn't ask

Hope you get one ...

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

In that case, where is your answer then?

Or for that matter, where is the answer from a single other member who has ever hired a car on Bohol?

He wants a recommendation for a self drive car hire company.

I can't give him one because I have never hired a car on Bohol and never intend to hire a car on Bohol.

However, they can be found using google if he desperately wants a self drive car hire company.

I have provided a reasonable alternate which I am happy to "recommend"

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Do not drive in the Philippines, based on our experience.

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

The driving experience in the P.I. is usually followed by a religious moment. Bohol is a little better than most, but to rent a car or van to drive yourself, is probably not a good option. The insurance in the P.I., is a joke, which is why there are very few "rental" agencies in Bohol to begin with. If you can find a rental business (and there are about 7 total on Bohol/Panglao) you will have to put up a large deposit and pay anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000 php a day. . The risk of damages is great if you rent it and drive yourself, as there are many obstacles in the "driving experience" in Bohol....Cars,Trucks,Motorcycles,Chickens,Cats,Dogs,People,not to mention the ongoing "Construction". So it is better to get a "rental van and driver" for the day (8 hours usually) and take local transport where you are staying.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

I didn't follow up on this post.

Answer = I simply like/enjoy the experience of exploring shops/merchants/food along the way to my destination whether `st world-3rd world, etc.

Answer = I would return the car to TAG after completion of my rental to depart via flight.

Party exceeds 2.

I drive in NYC, Miami, Brazil regularly and all over the world and have NEVER found a place with driving conditions as horrific as stated as it is really relative to the driving experience. All 7 continents without a problem (Thailand as my latest). The obstacles mention are very normal around the world with soccer balls, construction, etc. as most of the world doesn't have concrete 4-8 lane highways. I do have common sense and wouldn't drive in India, Western Africa or anyplace which is UNSAFE due to car jacking, hostage/kidnap situations or very common bribe of police officers mandatory.

Now, back to this topic I do respect responses from locals and do think 1000 to 2000 php economical but will differ to rental van and driver due to the lack of reputable merchants. Rather not be taken by vendor not forced to standard corporate structure and wants a quick payday due to a perceived chip on his car.

Sidenote - My worst car experience was being charged a car wash fee in Salvador, Brazil for a rental car but the highway to the airport/rental agency was under construction so IMPOSSIBLE to keep a car clean upon return due to dust/mud//dirt from unpaved highway.

Montclair, NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

As a follow-up to anyone who reviews later.

I did rent a self-drive car - it saved on transport fees and offered ability to visit Chocolate Hills, small tarsier reserves (both of them) and the forest at my leisure. None of which is worthy of a day or half day scheduled arranged tour in my opinion. Driving was very pleasant and uneventful as the highway system in Bohol is very easy to follow and driving is no worst vs. other nations/countries.

I can provide the name/number of the vendor used for car rental (which picked up/dropped off from TAG Airport) if you need it and I recommend them.

It also aids in visiting local merchants/vendors as the resort shouldn't receive all of your foreign money. Price of alcohol, Coca/Pepsi and food is extremely cheap vs. foreign currencies so stop to buy fruit from roadside stand or baked goods from bakery if/when opportunity available and leave a generous tip.

South Mission...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental

Hi,

Interested in the vendor you used. Can you please provide more details?

Thanks!

Reply to: TAG Self-Drive Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island