We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do - Need advice

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
648 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do - Need advice

Heya,

Real quick:

People: Me (33), Mother (60) and Brother (28)

Time: 7-14 days… maybe more depending on how lucky I get.

When: Possibly between March-June

Airport: Canada, Windsor or Detroit, US

Interests: BEACH, swimming, beach, swimming… We LOVE a beautiful BEACH/water. We love water sports – swimming, snorkeling, Scuba (for me alone ^_________^). We also love hiking (tougher ones for my brother and I – like mountains or volcanoes), forests, mountains wildlife and culture/cultural shows. Basically we like to spend our vacation with activities and then R & R at a beach in front of our Hotel- either at the end of the vacation or in the afternoon daily.

Was looking for an exotic location - a friend suggested Boracay.. then I stumbled on Palawan and things went from there.

So - my thoughts are 1-2 days in Puerto Princessa (Day 1 Arrival + Jet Lag, Day 2 Underground River)... then transfer to El Nido and doing 4 days of Island Hopping... then going XXX to Scuba/Snorkel/Relax on the beach location.

Someone suggested Bohol - Alona beach looks amazing!!! Would love to find accommodations as close to that beach as possible and the fact that the diving is great is a bonus. El Nido has these amazing above water bungalows - I'm assuming you probably can't find those in Bohol. Anyway, I can't be selfish and have to think of the family as a whole. So I need to know if this is the right second location for us.

The thing is... I'm looking at things that can be done in Bohol and I can't find much info. I definitively want to visit the Tastier sanctuary. The chocolate hills seem nice - but it's 241 steps to spend 30 minutes watching the hills (which after island hopping in El Nido may seem underwhelming). There's also the firefly tour that seems interesting - was thinking of doing that in Puerto Princesa but I can do it in Bohol to to save time...

Anyway - for snorkeling/diving looks like Balicasag Island is the way to go (not sure how "far") it is from Bohol - they don't seem connected but they are pretty close....

Anyway I can't find pricing on the diving (I'm sure it's reasonable or at least I hope)... but I read a lot of negative reviews on the snorkeling:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Lastly - Whale Shark Swimming - Looks amazing!!! I know it's found in Oslob - but you can't see them in Bohol? How far is Oslob from Bohol?

Thanks!!

PS. Feel free to privately message me.

6 replies to this topic
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do - Need advice

Check the Top Questions on the right hand side (download the full version if using the phone app). The link titled "List of things to do in Bohol" should give you some ideas.

En-route to the Chocolate Hills you can visit historic churches, stop for lunch on a floating restaurant, pass through the man-made forest, etc. To think about it as 241 steps for a half hour viewing is not ideal.

From Alona Beach you can travel to Balicasag by boat. I haven't used a stopwatch to time the journey but i'd put it at roughly 30 - 40 minutes. I can't remember the prices for diving excursions. They were pretty reasonable, there is a lot of competition

Some operators do offer trips to Oslob from Alona Beach.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
1,724 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do - Need advice

<<The thing is... I'm looking at things that can be done in Bohol and I can't find much info. >>

Well you cant have looked too hard or gone to the Bohol Forum and read the FAQs to the right of that forum. There is a pletoria of information. Like:

From FAQs-Things to do << https:/…31298504 >>>

From FAQs-3 days of fun <<< https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29425… >>

Top of the Bohol Forum Page in green "Things to do" as ranked by members review <<< https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g167… >>>

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do - Need advice

Okay I THINK I need to stop using my mobile devices when accessing this site b/c the FAQs aren't all showing up (I had that same issue with the Palawan forum) - thought it was a glitch.

Okay I'll review those (thanks for the links!!) and I'll come back for more questions if I have them.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do - Need advice

The thing is... I'm looking at things that can be done in Bohol and I can't find much info

------------------------------------------

As previously posted

Bohol is a province of about 75 islands including the main island of Bohol.

Alona beach is on Panglao island. Panglao island is joined to mainland Bohol by 2 bridges.

Bohol province has

- Bat tours on Cabgan Island

- Multiple white sand beaches

- Diving/snorkelling

- Island hopping the islands nearby to Panglao Island

- Day trips to Oslob in Southern Cebu from Alona Beach to swim with whale sharks with no diving or snorkelling experience necessary

- sea kayaking

- mini rice terraces

- the Chocolate Hills

- ATV tours

- whale and dolphin watching

- tarsier sanctuaries. Tarsiers are the smallest primate in the world. They have our eyes in a tiny body the size of a fist.

- butterfly sanctuaries

- wild life sanctuaries including sanctuaries with pythons you can sit with or on and have your photo taken

- fire fly tours

- adventure tours including zip lining/flying fox

- historical sites dating back to 1565 including St.Joseph the Worker Cathedral in Tagbilaran City, Blood Compact, the Baclayon Church and museum and the church ruins in Loboc

- multiple waterfalls

- multiple caves including swimming underground in the Hinagdanan cave on Panglao Island

- lunch tours on the Loboc river. I have previously been on 8 countryside tours of Bohol and never wanted to go on a lunch cruise until I saw this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CQUyGJbcE

now I have been on my 9th country side tour and can definitely recommend you do a lunch tour with these people

- kayaking on the Loboc river

- hanging bamboo bridges over the Loboc river

- the Bohol Bee Farm on Panglao island where you can see raffia cloth made using a traditional loom. They are also making clothes and knick knacks. You can eat a meal with edible flowers and honey. They also have home made ice cream with flavours such as jack fruit ice cream and dragon fruit ice cream

- rice paddies which means there is a high chance of seeing a Carabao in action

- Shopping in Tagbilaran City. There are several large malls. BQ Mall has cinemas with the latest movies on the second to top level.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do - Need advice

For the whale sharks, so long as the weather is fine, do a day trip from Alona Beach to Oslob on a bangka boat (outrigger boat).

For volcano trekking, travel from Jagna Bohol to Camiguin if the ferry schedule suits.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,738 posts
1,724 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do - Need advice

<<Okay I THINK I need to stop using my mobile devices when accessing this site b/c the FAQs aren't all showing up (I had that same issue with the Palawan forum) - thought it was a glitch.>>

Mobile device is fine. Scroll down to "Full Version" and click on this and all will be revealed.

Reply to: Things to do - Need advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island