We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current situation on Bohol

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
248 reviews
Save Topic
Current situation on Bohol

Hi guys,

What is the current situation on Bohol Island after the deadly confrontations between the army and Jihadist Group Abu Sayyaf? We have booked a day trip to Bohol Island from Cebu and we don't know if we want to still visit the island knowing that this Jihadist group is kidnapping foreign people.

Thank you for your input.

Miki

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Current situation on Bohol

Calling my posts rants and telling people to ignore them is a bit unfair since I said in other posts its unlikely to be a problem. People come here and ask for honest opinions and I think telling people to ignore posts that you do not agree with is doing a disservice to the community and instead trying to enforce your particular viewpoint. These are legitimate questions and concerns people have and they should be allowed to make an informed decision. Trying to paint other places in the western world as much more dangerous is not really being accurate, especially when we are talking about a relatively small tourist area and target in Bohol vs a large international city. Even with everything going on I went to Bohol after reading up on the situation and closely monitoring it. At times I felt a bit uncomfortable especially with the extreme security all over the place, but it was manageable. Others may not feel comfortable relaxing in such a setting.

32. Re: Current situation on Bohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 July 2017, 04:21
33. Re: Current situation on Bohol

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 July 2017, 12:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Current situation on Bohol

<<I thought the risk was low so I went to Bohol>> Thank you. Rest my case. Not sure why its such an issue to keep mentioning a low risk.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Current situation on Bohol

"Red nothing happened in Bohol fullstop. No deaths" - I'm not inclined to get in a whole back and forth here, but I do feel the need to correct this statement. In April of this year this same terrorist group was operating in Bohol with the express goal of kidnapping tourists. The government wiped them out but three soldiers, a policeman and two villagers were killed. So I would not call that nothing and I would not claim there were no deaths. I think the families of the people killed in this operation against the terrorists would disagree with that statement and readers should not be misled. Its one thing to say there have been no successful attacks on tourists, but to say nothing happened is not accurate.

36. Re: Current situation on Bohol

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2017, 09:58
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,726 posts
1,719 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Current situation on Bohol

@ clearwaters007 you are spamming the forum promoting your friends business. This thread isn't even about Cagayan de Oro its about Bohol.

Spamming is not allowed.

Get answers to your questions about Bohol Island