We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

Good news to foreign senior citizens (60 Years old and above I believe) planning to visit the Philippines as they will soon enjoy the same perks and privileges as Filipinos.

…inquirer.net/30927/dot-it%E2%80%99s-more-fu…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
1,449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

bryantpark88

Thats another great DOT initiative.

Now we got 101 things to like about the Philippines.

Haha only a few years to go for me lol.

Tommo

Makati, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

@tommo...that's at least something to look forward to when you turn 60 haha. And since you'll soon be a resident of Makati, you'll also be enjoying additional perks i.e. free movies, birthday cake, monthly allowance from the city government, courtesy lanes in banks, supermarkets, etc. Oh and did I tell you that the 20% discount applies to alcoholic beverages as well :-D

Edited: 31 March 2012, 05:27
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
21,082 posts
1,449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

**20% discount applies to alcoholic beverages **

Now thats tempting as alcohol is already so cheap-that means its virtually free lol!

Tommo

4. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2012, 19:35
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

michel -did u read the link?“By the end of the year, the Philippines could be the first country in the world to grant discounts to all senior citizens arriving in the Philippines,” Jimenez said in a speech at a general membership meeting of the Makati Business Club. (could be) that might be next year or many years from now

fairfield...
Level Contributor
888 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

Michael M,

....20% discount is good enough reason to retire early? Congrats!

Papalo

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
14,654 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

all those special lanes, at stores, banks etc. for seniors are for all seniors now, local or not. ..but the discounts is the big Great thing if it happens.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
14,654 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

this is not true

>>>MANILA, Philippines—Soon it will be more fun being a senior citizen in the Philippines, which is heading toward becoming the first country in the world to give discounts to retirees of any nationality.<<<

In the USA, senior discounts are based on age, not nationality, passport or color. We were in Palau last year, they have a senior program there also, my dad got a discount at a resto we ate at. I am not sure why they said that, but this is great for the Philippines if they do it

In any case, I dont think the vendors will like this and are already in battle over it. The best thing of this is the mercury drugs for those who get sick I think. Don't be surprised if the rules are stricter if this ever passes into law.

Edited: 15 June 2012, 20:12
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

My mom and dad got discounts in Malaysia (restaurants, Malaysia Airlines ticket, entrance fees) since they were 55 years old (senior citizen age in Malaysia). That country is generous for senior citizens.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Senior Citizen Discounts for foreigners...soon.

That's going to go down a treat isn't it? All those wealthy retired foreigners asking for the same discounts as elderly locals. I already see old, 'kuripot' long-noses quibbling over the price of an SMB (come on, P40 is NOT a lot of money) when they live in huge houses, have golf club memberships and plenty of money.