We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo & Hokkaido

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo & Hokkaido

Hi,

I am planning to go Tokyo & Hokkaido on June for 7D6N. I totally had no idea of any places to go and staying at which hotel is most convenient ? Can anyone give me some suggestion, like go where & how to go? Actually i wanna go Mt fuji but what is the season on jun ? Is it ok ? If I don't know how to speak Japanese is it fine to go F&E? Is it safe to go? Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,984 reviews
from US$ 157.10*
Mt Fuji Day Trip including Lake Ashi...
898 reviews
from US$ 129.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
861 reviews
from US$ 66.60*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
288 reviews
from US$ 299.50*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

Tokyo www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/tokyo/

Hokkaido jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/hokkaido/

Fuji jnto.go.jp/eng/…fujisan_shizuoka.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

Yes, it's fine if you don't speak Japanese. I didn't know Japanese on my first Japan trip to Tokyo and Hokkaido back in 2010 either.

7D6N is kinda short for both Tokyo and Hokkaido. Since you have to take domestic flight from Tokyo to Hokkaido, therefore it's kind of a waste to just spend 3days Tokyo 3days Hokkaido in my opinion.

Maybe something like this?

Day 1: Arrival at Tokyo. Stay at Tokyo

Day 2: Daytrip to Kawaguchiko or Hakone or Mt Fuji 5th Station

Day 3: Tokyo. Stay at Tokyo

Day 4: Domestic flight from Tokyo to Hokkaido's New Chitose Airport (Also known as Shin Chitose Airport).

Take train from airport to Sapporo. Stay at Sapporo.

Day 5:Daytrip to Otaru. Stay at Sapporo

Day 6: Take train from Sapporo to Noboribetsu. Stay at a traditional Japanese style room at Noboribetsu.

Day 7: Take train from Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport. Then New Chitose Airport to Tokyo via domestic flight, then fly out from Tokyo

-----

travelblog: goawaysam.blogspot.com

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,136 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

Have you been to Japan before?

With one week, you are best to spend your time at either Tokyo and surrounding area (or perhaps with some time at Kyoto), or dedicate your entire week to Hokkaido. So as samtcy said above, consider not doing both.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

I agree with Sammyfloyd.

If I were you, and if the trip is in late June, then I'd rather just spend the entire trip at Hokkaido, since might be able to catch the lavender fields at Furano (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6826.html).

Something like this?

Day 1: Fly in Shin-Chitose Airport. Go Sapporo, stay at Sapporo.

Day 2: Daytrip to Otaru. Stay at Sapporo

Day 3: Sapporo to Asahikawa. Go Furano. Stay at Asahikawa

Day 4: Daytime go Furano again if you want, or explore Asahikawa. Then take train to Sapporo. Stay at Sapporo.

Day 5: Sapporo to Lake Toya. Stay at Lake Toya

Day 6: Lake Toya to Noboribetsu. Stay at Noboribetsu

Day 7: Noboribetsu to New Chitose Airport for flight back.

---------

travelblog: goawaysam.blogspot.com

Edited: 22 May 2013, 12:21
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

Hi goawaysam,

Thanks for your advice. Btw if i am goin 9D8N, what plan do you think i can go? And can you also advise me how to go from place to place? Cos i totally don know abt japan at all. Is Hokkaido convenient for F&E? And which hotel is more convenient too? Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,136 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

What plan you want to do is really up to you. You have to decide whether you want to sepnd your 9 days around Tokyo/Kyoto, or Hokkaio, or split your time. With 9 days, you could do both but it will cost you more in airfare and additional time for flights. Nobody can make that choice for you.

How to get from place to place depends on where you are going. Also, which hotel to stay depends on your budget and how far you are willing to walk to a station nearby. Again, these are decisions you have to make. It is impossible to ask such open-ended questions here and expect to receive meaningful feedback. You have to come up with something to start. Doing some basic research is the nature of an F&E trip.

You might want to read through Japan Guide. It has dedicated pages on what Japan has to offer for tourists and user ratings. Also, it gives great info on how to go from A to B.

http://www.japan-guide.com

You should also read through some old posts in the forum. Many of them contain valuable information and sample itineraries.

7. Re: Tokyo & Hokkaido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 11:47