We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

Hello !

1st of all, let me summarize this specific part of our itinerary:

day 1) from Tokyo to Tsumago (visit Tsumago & Hakone, then sleep in Tsumago)

day 2) from Tsumago to ??? (sleep in ???)

day 3) from ??? to Kyoto (sleep in Kyoto)

Please, please help me to replace ??? with something else which is feasible ! My desire is to see Takayama and/or Shirakawago, sleeping somehere between the two, and getting to Kyoto the day after (having already booked Kyoto Hostel).

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Matteo from Italy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

Takayama is a favorite of mine, but I'm not sure it's worth the trip for you. It will take about five hours to get there from Nagiso station, near Tsumago. The next day, it will take more than three hours to go from Takayama to Kyoto.

On Day 1, you will not have time to see much of Hakone. Consider these alternatives:

Day 1 Hakone

Day 2 Tsumago

Day 3 Kyoto

Or: Day 1 Takayama

Day 2 Shirakawago (spend morniing Takayama, arrive in Shirakawago in afternoon, stay over, leave in morning)

Day 3 Kyoto

If you do make the trip, stay in Takayama. You will be able to enjoy the old district in the evening and morning when there are few tour groups. Shirakawago is an hour away from Takayama by bus. There you can stay in places like this: japaneseguesthouses.com/db/…magoemon.htm

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

Thank you !

But, I just noticed I made a mistake in my first post !

On day 1, we will visit Tsumago & Magome (and not Tsumago and Hakone as I wrote).

Does this change anything ?

For example, have a look at this program:

day 1) Arrive in Nagiso station at 11:00AM, visit Tsumago and Magome, sleep in Tsumago

day 2) Leave early Nagiso to Takayama, visit Takayama, sleep in Takayama

day 3) Early morning visit to Takayama markets, then move to Shirakawago for a couple of hours visit, then move to Kyoto

Could it work ?

Thanks !

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

Yes, it could work. You will spend a lot of time on trains, but I do not consider that time wasted. I enjoy sitting and watching the countryside.

My first visit to Takayama, many years ago, was only for a few hours, but it was still worthwhile. Shirakawago is unforgettable, but doesn't take very long.

4. Re: How to visit Takayama/Shirakawago between Tsumago and Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 12:08