We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

New York City
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
205 reviews
Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

I'm a bit confused here - it's easy to find directions to Koyasan by train and cablecar, but not by car (Google Maps directions and others are in Japanese).

Just to be sure - the road goes right into Koyasan, or do we park in a lot and take the cablecar up?

And - if we DO have the car, are there parking lots all over Koyasan?

4 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,852 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

You can easily see the roads and parking lots through Google Maps street view.

The road names are in Japanese so English names would not be useful for navigation. The route is straight forward, if you just look at the mapped route.

There are parking lots in the main town of Koyasan.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
205 reviews
2. Re: Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

OP here, thanks!

The Google Maps route I plotted didn't seem 100% clear. And I keep reading "cable car cable car cable car" so I was wondering if there were no cars allowed in Koyasan. Seems like there are, so thank you!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
3. Re: Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

Last time I went. I parked my car for free right in front of Okunoin Temple. (There's a lot of free barking bays inside the open-air parking lot there.) The roads are very straight forward once in Koya. Yes, you need to manage a very hilly and winding 2-lane only (yet in part 1-lane) mountain road soon after you go in the mountain: sign says 30km for maximum lawful speed.

Not sure where you head for Koya from, but, say, if it's Nara (Deer Park) then take a look for your reference:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y7tdruhw

(All toll-free)

Edited: 11 October 2018, 22:19
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
4. Re: Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?

On one of our two visits to Koya-san we used a rental car and the drive was quite enjoyable. We were there during autumn foliage season and yet traffic wasn’t bad and parking was easy and free. Zoom in and you can see a few parking lots on the following town map.

koyasan.or.jp/wp-content/…map.pdf

There is also a fairly large parking lot in Okuno-in.

koyasan.or.jp/wp-content/…okunoinmap.pdf

Reply to: Koyasan by Car - Drive into town, or park and take cablecar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted