We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Japan (Thur, Fri, Sat) in October - What to do?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Japan (Thur, Fri, Sat) in October - What to do?

I'm attending a conference in Kanagawa, Japan in October. At the end of the conference, I will have three nights (Oct 11 through 14 I fly out on Sunday afternoon). I'm really not sure where is the best place to go for that limited amount of time.

My goals: I'd like to stay at an onsen ryokan for one two nights. I'm not big into cities, so would like to not be in Tokyo. Ideally, I'd have a day to explore a shrine and a temple and a day to do something in nature (hike with views or vistas) and really just unplug.

With the time constraints I cannot venture too far from the Tokyo area. Was contemplating Lake Kawaguchiko. But cannot ignore Nikko or Kyoto (I know it is a city but really has some amazing stuff there too... just cannot see the chance to stay in an onsen ryokan.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Lake Kawaguchiko
Lake Kawaguchiko
1,879 Reviews
Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
2 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,883 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 nights in Japan (Thur, Fri, Sat) in October - What to do?

Kyoto:

It is good to go to Kyoto, if you have 2,3 day there. This is the orthodox plan. Here is my article for what to see in Kyoto.

https:/…Where.And.How.To.Visit.In.Kyoto.html

Here are my recommendation for what to eat in Kyoto.

https:/…93411240

(2) is Kikunoi Roan, not Kikuni Roan)

Nikko:

Mid Oct. is the best time to go to Nikko because of the Autumn Colors there. But, at the same tine, it is very crowded in the weekends and thus if you go there, I recommend to arrive there on Oct. 11 to avoid the traffic jam in Irohazaka Steep Winding Road in weekends in the season. You should book your hotel at Oku-Nikko or around Lake Chuzenji on Oct 11, 12 now.

Kawaguchiko:

If you fly back to Winnipeg from Narita Airport at 16:15 flight, there is a direct bus leaving Kawaguchiko at 10:30, arriving Narita Airport at 14:10.

Kyoto and Kawaguchiko:

If you can move to Kyoto on Oct. 11, you have 1 day for Kyoto on Oct 12, and can take a Shinkansen Hikari Superexpress from Kyoto to Mishima transfer to Express Bus from Mishima to Kawaguchiko as follows, and stay at an Onsen Ryokan there on Oct 13: but this is a little rush.

https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/gotemba.html

fujikyu.co.jp/citybus/highwaybus/pdf/Mishima…

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Kikunoi
Kikunoi
256 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
OKU
OKU
51 Reviews
Kyoto, Japan
Lake Chuzenji
Lake Chuzenji
826 Reviews
Nikko, Japan
Kawaguchiko Hotel
Kawaguchiko Hotel
117 Reviews
Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Hikari
Hikari
Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan
Mishima
Mishima
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 nights in Japan (Thur, Fri, Sat) in October - What to do?

If you wish to make it simple, just consider Hakone (for onsen) and Kamakura (for temple) - those are in Kanagawa Prefecture.

Mentioned in this post
Hakone Hotel
Hakone Hotel
309 Reviews
Hakone-machi, Japan
Kamakura
Kamakura
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: 3 nights in Japan (Thur, Fri, Sat) in October - What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted