We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?

1 post
Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?

So myself and my significant other are planning our trip to Japan for the first time at the end of October and will be returning home November 12th-13thish here in the US. That being said, it is more a wedding celebration so we thought " Hey, why not finally visit Japan and see what happens?" So we bought our tickets, set the dates, booked a Hotel in Tokyo for the first 2-3 days, and now we're just like " Now, what to do for the next 2 weeks."

We're interested in the overall culture of the different areas

Historical sites

Everyday Lifestyle

Hiking

Overall we're just looking to experience what Japan is all about, which is why we're not aiming to stay in the middle of Tokyo during our entire stay.

Well, I'm hoping I can get some ideas on what we could do as far as travel and to visit historical or just interesting spots during our time there! We're most certainly planning on heading west towards Kyoto and such, but we're also kind of expecting this to be a nervous adventure where we'll get lost, stumble across things, so on and so forth. We'll be appropriating the proper currency when we land and plan on picking up a rail pass before we leave for the flight, also, so I don't believe that travel will be a huge problem. My biggest concerns, at the moment, are making sure that we are able to have places to sleep and such along our venture outside of Tokyo as well as Navigation, making sure we don't enter somewhere we're not allowed, get into any trouble, etc.

So are there any suggesting anyone can throw at me as far as places recommended to see, eat, explore? Maybe even speak with Japanese natives that we could arrange to meet up with when we arrive who could potentially make sure we don't get into any trouble without meaning to? We'd most certainly love to make a few friends while we're there because we're sure we'll be making more trips there in the near future!

Very much appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,855 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?

Welcome to the TA forums!

www.japan-guide.com is a great site for you to research your travel planning. The site also has suggested itineraries.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?

As noted above, japan-guide.com is a great site. I'd recommend 5 days in Tokyo and 9 in the Kansai area, which includes Kyoto, Osaka and other places. From a base in Kansai you can visit many places, such as Himeji, Nara, Okayama, Kurashiki as day trips, as well as overnight to say Hiroshima and Miyajima. You can fly between Tokyo and Kansai area (2 airports in Osaka, 1 in Kobe) on discount airlines, though shinkansen (bullet train) is more efficient. If you haven't confirmed your flights, you can land in Tokyo and depart from Kansai airport in Osaka to save the return to Tokyo just to fly out.

California
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
335 reviews
3. Re: Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?

Some basic info from you, please: your origin point in the U.S., your entry and departure airports (you said you already bought and set dates), your initial arrival time, your initial hotel, your budget, and some amplification beyond interests in "historical sites, everyday living, hiking" which exist in virtually all areas of Japan. You might enunciate what specifically drew you to decide on a trip to Japan.

You should take some time to study the suggested itineraries and come up with a rough idea of where you intend to go and what you want to do. Asking us for suggestions is somewhat cart before horse because this is your trip and not ours. And planning will also give you a better sense of geography and culture and the opportunities to experience.

So please take those steps, and we will be willing to comment on the itineraries and revisions you develop.

And congratulations.

Reply to: Couple Heading to Japan - Insight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted