We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls. help with several train tickets

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Pls. help with several train tickets

Hi,

I will travel to Japan for around 3 weeks, starting on August 11. My (neary) fixed itinery is:

7 days Tokyo (arrival Haneda) - 1 day trip to Nikko, eventually 1 day trip to Kamakura

My hotel is bit far away from the Tokyo center. From the airport I have to take the Tokyo Monorail, the JR Yamanote Line and the JR Joban line to arrive at the hotel which is near the Minami- senju station.

3 days Fujikawaguchiko

7 days Kyoto - daytrips to Himeji, Hiroshima, Nara, Miyajima

2 days Osaka - flight from Osaka

I read a lot about Japan JR Pass, Suica card and Kansai pass and I am still quite confused which of them would work best for my itinery.

For my 7 days in Kyoto and the day trips I plan, it seems quite worth to take the 5days Kansai pass. But for my week in Tokyo and the travel from Tokyo to Fujikawaguchiko and from there to Kyoto, I am really not sure of Suica card and/ ore JR pass.

Pls. help me to solve the confusion :)

Thank you!

Christiane

3 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,706 posts
317 reviews
1. Re: Pls. help with several train tickets

If your travel is basically oneway from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka, the 7 day Nationwide JR Pass(29,110 yen) does not pay off, since the Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Kyoto/Shin-Osaka costs @14,000/@14,500 yen oneway by standard JR tickets.

Among the Local JR Passes, if you round trip Hiroshima/Miyajima from Kyoto/Osaka, the Kansai Hiroshima Area Pass is the best for you. You can step by Himeji on your way to Hiroshima, or alternatively visit there separately using this Pass.

https:/…e2361_kansai_hiroshima.html

Just be careful using this Pass that this Pass is issued by JR West, so you cannot take Tokaido Shinakansen from Kyoto: when Japan National Railway(JNR) was divided into current 6 private JR companies in 1987, the most profitable Tokaido Shinkansen between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka was separated from JR East and JR West and belonged to JR Tokai (JR Central in English). Therefore, if you visit Hiroshima from Kyoto using this Pass, you cannot take the Shinkansenfrom JR Kyoto, but you should move to JR Shin-Osaka from Kyoto by JR Kyoto Line Rapid or Limited Express run by JR West and transfer to Sanjo Shinkansen from JR SHIn-Osaka to JR Hiroshima which is run by JR West.

You should get a Suica or Pasmo card for local transportations (local JR, non-JR train and subways) in Tokyo in addition. You can also use this card in Kyoto, Osaka, and Hishoshima. But, if you want to get back the 500 yen deposits of the card, return the card in Tokyo (Suica card at any JR or Tokyo Monorail Stations, and Pasmo card at any non-JR, non-Tokyo Monorail stations), and then you have to get an ICOCA Card at any JR West stations in Kyoto or Osaka for local trains in Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima. If you bring back the Suica or Pasmo card to your country, the card can be re-used when you come back to Japan in 10 years.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,034 posts
190 reviews
2. Re: Pls. help with several train tickets

Buy the 3-day JR Tokyo Wide Pass @JPY10K to visit Nikko, Kamakura and one-way to Kawaguchi-ko. It roughly payoff after a round trip to Nikko so the remaining trips are virtually free.

https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/

>>7 days Kyoto - daytrips to Himeji, Hiroshima, Nara, Miyajima

Buy the 5-day JR West Kansai Hiroshima Pass (KHP) @JPY13.5K. It more than pays off after a round trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima.

NO pass pay off for a one-way Kawaguchi-ko to Kyoto via Mishima. Just buy single bus and train tickets.

For daily commutes on city subways, commuter trains just buy a SUICA/PASMO card upon arrival in Tokyo HND.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
3. Re: Pls. help with several train tickets

Thank you both for the detailled information!!

Reply to: Pls. help with several train tickets
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted