We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are advance hotel booking essential

Derby, England...
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Are advance hotel booking essential

Evening everyone,

First post on the Japan forum (eek) ! Im in the very, very early stages of planning an itinerary for a 5 week trip to Japan for April/May 2019. We're planning to visit all the obvious places (tokyo, kyoto, osaka, hiroshima, fukuoka... etc) and potentially flying down to the islands - okinawa maybe...... I have a lot of reading to do! But my immediate question (though I'm sure there will be many more) is at that time of year, is it possible to book hotels as we go - maybe a couple of days in advance rather than just turning up at a destination, adjusting our itinerary as we travel with only the skeleton plan sketched out? Or will we struggle to find accommodation do you think?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,286 Reviews
from US$ 142.80*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$ 66.30*
15 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

Book your hotels in advance to get the best deals and to avoid wasting your vacation looking for a hotel room in a city that is fully booked. In particular, Kyoto does not have enough hotel rooms for all the tourists coming in spring to see the cherry blossoms. One dilemma is that some hotels in Japan don't release rooms for online booking until 6 months in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,711 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

April is cherry blossom season so quite popular /busy!

The first week of May in Japan is Golden Week with tons of Japanese on holiday.

The answer to your question is ,"Yes" book ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Indore, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

I've started booking for the samish time (all with the possibility of cancelling) and find that they are filling up fast. It seems the prudent thing to do otherwise it might get very expensive if not impossible

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,223 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

I have travelled without pre-booked hotels, and change hotels and destinations the day before, even during April.

If you have somewhat unlimited budget, can tolerate lousy hotels as a last resort, can travel to the next city or town easily with a rail pass or rental car, can read Japanese and use Japanese booking site for last minute bookings, you can absolutely book as you go.

However vast majority of the people on this forum do not and cannot travel like that.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

Book in advance especially for the time period you are visiting. Very busy indeed.

Get reservations that can be cancelled and if you change your mind or something better comes up you can change or cancel.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 03:31
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,783 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

Booking in advance is totally essential in April and beginning of May. If you don't book, you'll end up spending a lot of time looking for a room (instead of sightseeing) and pay a ton for a "leftover" room. I'm talking about spending over 35,000yen for a tiny 11m2 room sort of thing. As said, book rooms that are cancellable for free way in advance.

Earth
Level Contributor
376 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

Yes!!! I booked my hotel at the end of jul for our nov trip. I realise this week that the price has gone up double for the same rooom. And the tokyo hotels are also being snapped up. Apparently im "late".

If you're going for sakura season it is advisable to book your accommodation in advance.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 08:56
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,873 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

In fact, you need to book as early as possible once you have set your plans. Hotel rates go up as supply dwindles. Staying "flexible" during April to May is not a good plan.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

It is a must unless you are solo traveler.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,811 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are advance hotel booking essential

@Bibimbob is correct, you can book as you go, but it does take time, and it can cost a lot (seriously a lot), and might mean changing hotels more frequently. I have had occasions where I have needed a place to stay at short notice and have managed to get some reasonable places at good prices, but I was not in the silly/crowded places like Kyoto in cherry blossom season or the middle of Tokyo. Plus, I have a wide tolerance range for hotels when I need to. I suspect Bibimbob also has a lot of knowledge about which are acceptable options and which are not so they would be less worried about getting somewhere. As a first time visitor, that is something you will not necessarily have or get too quickly.

>>>Hotel rates go up as supply dwindles<<<

Yes, that can apply, but the hotels also change prices depending on the time of year and day of the week. I also agree with the concept of dwindling supply for some chains and I do see tiny/lousy rooms for 55,000 yen in business hotels - why, because it's the last one.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 10:20
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Are advance hotel booking essential
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted