We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

april plan in japan

Indore, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
april plan in japan

halo there: i'm planning a trip to japan in april next year. my itinerary has been very hurried because i realised that booking hotels was the first thing i should do as it was getting booked out. now i've booked the hotels but feel i haven't planned the way i would like and am getting a bit stuck on some counts. any advice appreciated

April 28 to April 3: Tokyo

(day trips to kamakura, nikko and perhaps on a clear day to see mt fuji.

April 4 to April 10: Kyoto

(day trip to Nara)

(April 8) One night stay at Koyasan

April 11: To Hiroshima with Himeji on the way

April 12: Miyajima

April 13: Hiroshima

April 14: Travel to Takayama. night in Takayama

April 15: Takayama (hope to catch the festival)

April 16,17: Kanazawa

April 18: Back to Tokyo

April 21. Flight back home

the sticky points are: Should i cut off one day at Miyajima/hiroshima so that i can start the trip to takayama on the 13 so that i can enjoy the festival on the 14.

also i have to fit in shirakawago. should i go there from takayama or kanazawa?

There is possibly a day on april 18-19 where i could stop off at hakone or kawaguchiko to get to see mt fuji if i have missed out, or generally just to stay somewhere scenic for a night. does it make sense or will it not be worth it because the trip from kanazawa would take most of the first day and from what i gather there is a lot of buses etc involved to get to where i may decide (have been eyeing a place at yamanaka).

As you've probably guessed my grasp of the train infrastructure is not the best. i have figured out how to use hyperdia finally (you have to have a pc not a mobile phone) thanks to all you people.

Would love to hear inputs, or suggestions or something completely different because i know i seem to be following the tried and true itinerary!

thanks

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
1. Re: april plan in japan

The second half of Nov is a good time for cherry blossom in the Fuji Five Lakes region and Kawaguchi-ko will hold its annual sakura festival from mid to late April. You may also go for the pink moss festival near Motosu-ko which normally starts around mid Apr although late April to early May is a better time for full bloom. Monitor the following websites for update information of both festivals when the time comes to travel.

…transer.com/event/info.php…

http://www.shibazakura.jp/eng/

To make room for the above consider shortening the time in Tokyo and/or Kyoto in the first half of the trip. After finishing Kansai go to Kanazawa first and work yourself to Takayama for its spring festival. After Apr 15 you can then decide whether to go back to Tokyo first before doing day trip to Kawaguchi-ko or better still spend a night or two in the Fuji Five Lakes before travelling back to Tokyo.

Another highly worthwhile sakura festival is the one in Yoshino with colourful parade on Apr 11-12. Osaka is the best base for a side trip to Yoshino but Kyoto is also feasible if you don’t mind a slightly longer train ride.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 12:55
Indore, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
2. Re: april plan in japan

Thank you willian512 for your knowledgeable tips. The pink moss looks lovely and I think I'll have to tweak the itenenary to fit it all in. Thanks also for the useful links, I'll keep an eye on them. So it looks like it's back to the drawing board for me...🙄

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,674 posts
317 reviews
3. Re: april plan in japan

I recommend to cut Hakone in early April and go to Kawaguchiko in mid April to see Mt. Fuji and Cherry Blossom there. I recommend to move to Kyoto on April 3, go to Hiroshima/Miyajima for 1 night before Koyasan, and go to Karuizawa for 2 nights before Takayama (because it blooms earlier in Kanazawa), and then go to Karuizawa, just after Takayama via Matsumoto, to see the Cherry Blossom there.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
4. Re: april plan in japan

Thanks mabei0123. (I may have the numbers wrong as I can't see the previous posts, sorry). I've been trying to juggle a day here and there and it's doing my head in! But i will get there. I want to be sure before I start rearranging all my bookings! Kanazawa before takayama. Hmm. I don't think I'll be able to add one more place though.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
37 posts
5. Re: april plan in japan

Do you'll think I can cut down on my stay at Hiroshima/miyajima? I thought a night at the latter would be soothing but perhaps it's better spent at kanazawa?

Edited: 10 August 2018, 00:18
Reply to: april plan in japan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted