We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Clark Freeport...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Hi!

I'm getting confused about the eligibility of JR Pass for all shinkansen lines.

I'll introduce my itinerary:

"Total stay of 9 days on March 2019 for cherry blossoms, snow ski resorts, and Sapporo snow"

Tokyo - first 3 days (day 1, day 2, day 3 equivalent to 3 full days and 3 nights)

*Will take shinkansen line going to Kyoto in the morning of day 4

Kyoto - day 4 and day 5 (2 full days, 2 nights)

*Will take shinkansen line from Kyoto to Osaka in the morning of day 6

Osaka - day 6 (just a whole-day tour)

*Will take shinkansen line in the late evening from Osaka to Tokyo and then switch to Hokkaido line from Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station (Hakodate) in early morning night if there are shinkansen schedules at 12 midnight onwards.

*If there is no midnight or early morning night shinkansen schedule from tokyo to hakodate, I will spend an overnight in Tokyo then take a morning schedule from Tokyo to Hakodate (6 am to whatever time I'll arrive).

Hakodate - day 7 (whole-day tour if there is an overnight trip in Hokkaido Shinkansen line or just half-day tour if there's none)

*Will take the Super Hokuto line in the morning of day 8 going to Sapporo

Sapporo - day 8 whole day and day 9 half day

*Take flight from Sapporo to home.

Questions and Enquiries:

1. If I buy the 257 USD JR Pass, does it cover all the shinkansen lines? Does it mean I can travel freely for 7 days if I take the Tōkaidō & Sanyō & kyūshū Shinkansen line, the Hokkaido Shinkansen line, and the Super Hokuto line by just using this 257 USD JR pass?

2. If there are additional costs on top of the 257 USD JR Pass to cover all these train lines, how much will it be?

3. Is there an overnight schedule under Hokkaido line (any schedule at 12 midnight onwards from Tokyo Station to Shin Hakodate-Hokuto Station during weekdays (specifically Friday)?

4. If there's none, what is the earliest schedule of Tokyo to Hakodate route?

5. What is the latest (late evening or midnight) shinkansen (Hikari) schedule from Osaka to Tokyo?

6. Is my itinerary doable? (It doesn't matter if it looks rushed, as long as it is doable, that should be fine)

7. Any itinerary changes or suggestions for a better adventure?

8. Are Cherry Blossoms blooming during March 23-31 in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

9. Will there be snow in Sapporo during these dates?

10. Can you recommend a snow ski resort near Tokyo during these dates?

Thanks for answering my questions. Thank you for your detailed answers, recommendations, and suggestions. Cheers!

Tobishima Island
Sightseeing Tours
Daiichi Kotsu
Sightseeing Tours
Japan Wonder Travel
Historical & Heritage Tours
17 replies to this topic
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
1. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

This will help you figure out if a pass works for your itinerary - once you have a settled itinerary:

https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Edited: 07 August 2018, 00:31
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
2. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html scroll down to relevant sections:

257USD rail pass is which pass - please use yen - I assume you are talking the ¥29110 7 day ordinary?

Your ? #1. <<All JR Group Railways-Shinkansen"bullet trains" (except any reserved or non-reserved seat on “NOZOMI” and “MIZUHO” trains) limited express trains, express trains, and rapid or local trains, and the BRT. (With some exceptions)>>

2 & 3. Additional costs for sections not on JR trains (and I recall overnigh trains)

For train schedule check Hyperdia

For when cherry blossoms bloom - on average, see this:

scroll down:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011_when.html

Clark Freeport...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
3. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Thank you for providing this calculator. It's very helpful. I saw that it pays off. But I'm still confused if a one 257 USD JR Pass already covers these three train lines? Or do I have to pay additional amounts for a different line? Cheers!

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
4. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

I believe they are all JR lines.

You can look them up you know - just type in the name in Google and you'll see if it's a JR train.

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
5. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

And you are very welcome.

And welcome to the Japan forum btw! :)

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
6. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Googled and found for the one I wasn't certain about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hokuto_(train)

Yes, JR

Clark Freeport...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
7. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Thanks @hfot2 : Yes, that's what I'm talking about, the ¥29110 7 day ordinary JR Pass. And just to clarify regarding your answer no. 2: limited express trains, express trains, and rapid, or local trains, and the BRT are all included in ¥29110 7 day ordinary JR Pass, is that correct? Can I use JR pass in Tokyo MRTs, LRTs, and Monorails as well? Thanks

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
8. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

RE when sakura blooms - last year was a week to 10 days early.

We've seen peak in Tokyo just around March 31 - or earlier (or later)

Kyoto later than Tokyo and Osaka just about the same as Kyoto.

The charts deal with Somei Yoshino cherry, and there are other varieties with other dates, obviously:

https:/…e2011_species.html

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
670 reviews
9. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Yes

<<are all included in ¥29110 7 day ordinary JR Pass, is that correct? >>

You can look this up yourself you know:

See this:

https:/…can-i-use-all-trains

Some, but not all JR busses.

Yes limited express and local trains - but they have to be JR. Look them up, please.

Clark Freeport...
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
10. Re: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?

Thanks very much @hfot2. You are very helpful. I'll check them out. JR pass will make my trip a lot cheaper. Regarding my other questions such as the schedules of Hokkaido line if there's an overnight schedule or not, the earliest sched of Hokkaido line and the latest sched of Osaka to Tokyo, the feasibility of my itinerary, and the snow resorts near tokyo and snow in Sapporo, can i have suggestions from you about these things? Thanks! :)

Reply to: Confused about the JR Pass and Itinerary check please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted