We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan vs China

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Japan vs China

Thinking of a river cruise either to Japan or China. Any advice to someone who has not visited this part of the world. Pros/cons to each place

Mentioned in this post
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,284 Reviews
from US$ 143.00*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
934 Reviews
from US$ 66.40*
13 replies to this topic
Haan, Germany
Level Contributor
217 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japan vs China

Coming from the western part of the world both places are so different to what you are used to see and they differ a lot from each other. If you have time enough, why don't you consider to see both places?

I was in Japan many times and I traveld a lot from North to south so I could recommend a few places to see, like Tokyo, Nikko, Nara, Kyoto, Hiroshima and also some smaller places and nature.

I also did a round trip across China incl. a river cruise on Yanktse and it was so interesting and different from what I knew from Japan.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Nikko Nara
Hotel Nikko Nara
1,202 Reviews
Nara, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hiroshima
Hiroshima
Hiroshima Prefecture, Japan
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japan vs China

Are there river cruises in Japan? I've not come across them

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,744 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japan vs China

Have you travelled to Asia before? If not, Japan will probably be an easier country to travel in. I'm not aware of any river cruises in Japan, but I've seen cruises around the coast of Japan, and in the Seto Inland Sea. Or maybe you could try some of the special multi-day train tours in Japan:

http://www.cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/

https://www.jreast.co.jp/shiki-shima/en/

Mentioned in this post
Seto
Seto
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
3,181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japan vs China

Rivers in Japan are narrower than those in mainland China. There may be river cruise in Japan, but those are not what you see in the continent.

China is very different in regions, especially between northern and southern. Southern China is more or less like different countries from the perspective of language. I often notice local business people like taxi drivers who only speak local language, Cantonese, Hokkien, etc. or speak Mandarin with grammatical errors.

Mentioned in this post
Powell River, Canada
Level Contributor
688 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japan vs China

No river cruises in Japan.

Want to see Japan? Don’t go on a cruise.

Mentioned in this post
California
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Japan vs China

Only major river cruise in China is Yangtze...okay. isn't Europe.

Best way to see either country is by land. China is continental country, too big to see except by region or a site every day or two or three. Japan is not small either.

I prefer Japan. Well developed tourism infrastructure, hospitality culture. And I would focus only on the Kansai (Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Kobe, etc.) A week or two just there is a great trip.

Spoken as someone who has lived in both countries.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 20:37
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Europe Nagasaki
Hotel Europe Nagasaki
285 Reviews
Sasebo, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
363 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Japan vs China

China is no harder than Japan, and I 've found more Englsih spoken there than in Japan. China though is so huge that you can't consider it as one country. It is also extremely diverse from one province to the next. China is in general relatively cheap.

To be able to decide between Japan and China, I (personally) would want to write down what sort of things I wanted to experience, what my timescale was, time of the year, and then see which of Japan and various provinces in China came closest to my wishes.

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
621 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Japan vs China

Japan - 20 trips

China - 4 trips

We would say Japan - but it depends on what you want to see, how you want to travel, your budget, your time frame etc. I don't think we can really give you an answer. And, since you are asking this on the Japan forum... ;)

River cruises:

Yangtze cruise & cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo both interesting - choice would depend again on your interests and itinerary

In Japan??

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
3,283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Japan vs China

If you want to see China, go to China; if you want to see Japan, go to Japan; it could be as simple as that. Go to Beijing for Beijng Duck (among other things), and go to Tokyo for Edomae-zushi (among other things).

I'm not sure how river cruises can work in China - it is a huge country, and obviously there are places that cannot be reached by ship/boat among the most popular sites. Cruises don't work that well with Japan either.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
California
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Japan vs China

An advantage of cruises, including river ones, is that you and your luggage move. That's why Baltic sea or Greek Island or Rhine and Danube river cruises are great for travelers. In China, only the Yangtze works like that because Guilin-Yangshuo is not a "floating hotel" experience. There are around Japan cruises, but only superficial exposure to real Japan.

So either country is worth seeing depending on your interests, but both should be seen mostly by land.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Japan vs China
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted