We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring during Golden Week

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,933 posts
157 reviews
Touring during Golden Week

We are considering doing a self-guided first-time tour to Japan. Our schedules allow for arrival in Tokyo on 21 April 2019 and departure from Tokyo on 9 May 2019. I understand that Golden Week holidays falling during a portion of this time period. Do you suggest avoiding this time period entirely because of this? Or can we work around Golden Week to minimize the challenge of touring during that busy period?

Tobishima Island
Sightseeing Tours
Daiichi Kotsu
Sightseeing Tours
Japan Wonder Travel
Historical & Heritage Tours
3 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,700 posts
317 reviews
1. Re: Touring during Golden Week

I think you can also move in the Golden Week(GW), but it would be better if you can stay in Tokyo or in Kyoto/Osaka during the GW. If you can, no problem

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,819 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Touring during Golden Week

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2282.html

Please refer to the details about 2019.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Touring during Golden Week

Travelling and touring during GW is usually no more difficult than other times of the year (with the exception of NY and Obon). There are some days that are more busy, but with a longer holiday the pressure on the transport system is not as great. I travel every year in golden week and it doesn't have much impact on my schedules or planning, not to the extent that it is particularly noticeable other than higher prices charged in some locations.

Reply to: Touring during Golden Week
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted