We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suica card refund in Nagoya?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Suica card refund in Nagoya?

Hello!

I'm travelling to Japan in a few days (Tokyo - Yokohama - Nagoya - Osaka). I've read that IC cards such as Suica or ICOCA can be used in these different areas. However,they can only be exchanged for refund in certain places.

Since i'm arriving in Tokyo, i'm buying a Suica card but I don't know if I can exchange the Suica card and get the refund in Nagoya. If not should I do it in Yokohama? Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,286 Reviews
from US$ 143.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$ 66.60*
6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

Yes, you should do it in JR East domain, which includes Yokohama. Nagoya is JR Central's domain; Osaka is JR West's domain. SUICA is an IC card issued by JR East; JR Central and JR West have different cards. The JR Group companies are former Japan National Railway, but divided and privatized in the late 1980s, and now operating with conflicting interests; to them it would be like being shown a McDonald's coupon at their Burger King chain (yes we both sell burgers, but can't handle that, sorry).

These IC cards are quite handy, but it's just relieves you of buying tickets each time for the commuter trains. You should charge a minimum amount, recharge it when necessary - so that you don't have to lose everything when you lost the card. You might spend everything for the train fare or at the convenience store and forget about recovering the deposit money if you think it's bothersome. It can be a small memorabilia with a cute penguin mark on it; you can use it when you come back some other time.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 15:04
Mentioned in this post
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

Thank you so much for your reply! Your example was great! :)

I’ll probably keep it as a souvenir then.

Level Contributor
3,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

If you can find time, return and get the deposit back; at least keep the charged amount to a minimum on the last day departing from the Kanto Region.

Mentioned in this post
Kanto
Kanto
Japan
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

If you bring back the Suica card to your home, you can use it when you come back to Japan at least in 10 years.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
508 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

ShibaInuGuide's first comment contains great advice - and I'd like to emphasise the last bit:

"you can use it when you come back some other time"

Suica cards remain valid for 10 years from last use. If you do return to Japan anytime in the next decade, just top up the card and off you go. Even if you don't use it in 10 years and the card becomes unusable, any remaining balance isn't forfeited - JR East gives you the option to a) get a fresh Suica card and transfer the remaining balance to the replacement, or b) refund the leftover (minus refund fee and the card deposit).

You might also consider lending/giving the card to a friend who's going to Japan, so that they're all set (transportation wise) once they land.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
508 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suica card refund in Nagoya?

Source for the info in my comment (#5) below, in case you'd like to see something official.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html

Just scroll down to the "Validity Period" section near the bottom.

Cheers.

Reply to: Suica card refund in Nagoya?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted