We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Substitute Bus in English?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
Save Topic
Substitute Bus in English?

What is the correct word for a "substitute bus" in English? is it correct? it sounds somewhat strange to me.

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,286 Reviews
from US$ 143.00*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$ 66.40*
5 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,912 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Substitute Bus in English?

Yes, the word "substitute bus" is currently used, for example, for the substitute bus transportation in the closed sections of JR Takayama Line, as follows. Do you mean that the word is used for other meaning?

https://jprail.com/train-operation-status

Mentioned in this post
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Substitute Bus in English?

"Substitute bus" is correct. Another term that is also used is "replacement bus".

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,136 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Substitute Bus in English?

Sometimes the term "bus bridge" is used for a bus that substitutes for a train. See https:/…news20160304 .

But I think "substitute bus" is clearer.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,789 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Substitute Bus in English?

In England you would be more likely to see "replacement bus", usually in the context of replacing a train.

The meaning of "substitute bus" is comprehensible but it does sound a bit strange to my ears too.

But do remember that the English used in England differs from the English used in the US, Australia, New Zealand,the Caribbean, India and the many nations around the world that use English as a first or second language,

Edited: 05 August 2018, 16:56
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Substitute Bus in English?

In the US, I have seen 'shuttle bus' as a replacement for commuter trains and subways in the Philadelphia area, and 'alternate transportation' for intercity rail service. 'Substitute bus' doesn't sound good, but is clearer than the other phrases.

Reply to: Substitute Bus in English?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted