We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

Hello,

Is there anyone can help me in my situation below?

Currently I am staying in Kyoto and owned “Hokuriku Area Pass” (valid for train in Hokuriku Line from Tsuruga until Toyama).

I am going to go to Toyama from Kyoto Station and plan to buy Thunderbird train ticket from Kyoto to Tsuruga only and then continue to Toyama via Kanazawa with my Hokuriku Area Pass.

My question is:

Is it ok to use the same train from Kyoto to Kanazawa with two tickets (regular ticket Kyoto-Tsuruga + Hokuriku Area Pass) without exit from the gate?

Or do I need to get off from the train in Tsuruga and exit the gate using my regular ticket and then enter again using my Hokuriku Area Pass to take the next train to Kanazawa?

Appreciate any information you may provide.

Bestseller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,293 Reviews
from US$ 143.50*
Bestseller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.60*
Bestseller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
938 Reviews
from US$ 66.70*
4 replies to this topic
Japan
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

If you have a valid ticket or pass for the duration of your journey, then you should not need to get off the train and exit the ticket gates just to re-enter and get onto a different train.

When you buy your Thunderbird ticket you will be wanting (presumably) a reserved seat all the way to Kanazawa (the terminal station of the Thunderbird service), so at the ticket office you should be able to book and pay for the fare up to Tsuruga, and then using the pass have tickets issued for Tsuruga to Kanazawa - two sets.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

Hello Japan Custom Tours,

Many thanks for your quick response and clarification.

This Hokuriku Area Pass valid for “non reserve seat” , thunderbird train and starting from Tsuruga until Kanazawa only instead of starting from Kyoto Station.

Therefore I need to buy a ticket at Kyoto Station for my journey from Kyoto to Tsuruga.

So I assume from your explanation, I can use my ticket (kyoto-tsuruga) to enter the gate at kyoto station and continue with the same train until Kanazawa. When I arrive at Kanazawa, I can use my Hokuriku Area Pass to exit the gate.

Would appreciate if you could confirm my understanding.

Again many thanks for your help.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,957 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

Since you are starting at Kyoto, you should have no problem finding an unreserved seat traveling on Thunderbird. You could therefore stay in the same seat from Kyoto to Tsuruga and then Tsuruga to Kanazawa (all unreserved). That's the practical solution. Just get to the platform at Kyoto about 15 minutes before departure and line up at the unreserved section.

Of course, you could elect to spend a few hundred Yen extra and buy a reserved seat from Kyoto to Tsuruga. However, using the Hokuriku Pass, you cannot just upgrade by buying a seat reservation for the Tsuruga to Kanazawa section though without paying the express fare again. Therefore, if you want a reserved seat for Kanazawa to Tsuruga, you will have to move to the unreserved section eventually when Pass coverage starts.

When you reach Kanazawa, use the Pass to get out of the gates and for Shinkansen access.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)

Sammy,

I appreciate your explanation and many thanks.

Reply to: HOKURIKU AREA PASS (Valid 4 days in Hokuriku Area)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted