We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
415 posts
137 reviews
Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?

We (family of 3) are arriving Haneda airport at 5.15am on a Wednesday, planning to stay in Nihombashi area.

Proposed sightseeing itinerary:

Day 1 Wed - Asakusa and Skytree area

Day 2 Thurs - Imperial Gardens, Ginza and Odaiba

Day 3 Fri - Disneysea

Day 4 - Hakone by shinkansen

Day 5 - Narita airport 1.55pm flight.

I have looked at transport options, but still not clear. There seem to be no 5 day pass suitable to my itinerary. I am wondering if there is a pass that is worthwhile in value for the last 3 days of our trip or should we just get a Pasmo card.

Appreciate your advice/input. Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
386 reviews
1. Re: Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?

A Tokyo Wide Pass won't cover shinkansen to Odawara for Hakone, just ordinary trains which are cheaper, meaning it won't be worthwhile, even with the trip to Narita included. A JR East Pass definitely won't pay off. I'd just get a Pasmo or Suica and pay train fares separately where needed. I'm not too sure if Pasmo covers all the way to Hakone.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
386 reviews
2. Re: Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?

Also, if you are wanting to economise, the Keisei Access Express goes through Nihombashi station, giving you direct train access to Narita for 1330 yen. On Sundays there is a service departing Nihombashi at 10:11am which will get you to Narita at 11:13.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
149 reviews
3. Re: Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?

Pasmo/Suica covers to Hakone and to Gora.

For day two, I suggest you pick a better garden location - there are many better gardens in Tokyo than the Imperial Palace East Gardens IMO. For example, Shinjuku National Gardens, Hamarikyu are two that spring to mind. You could even combine Hamarikyu with the boat ride to Asakusa - makes for a pleasant transfer.

Reply to: Pasmo, JR East or Tokyo wide pass?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted