We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

Boston...
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

Hi All,

I know you probably hate this question, but please bear with me. I am coming from the US (East Coast- Boston) and will have 9 days off of work. After travel, that gets me about 7 days on the ground in Japan, in which I want to do 3-4 days in Tokyo and 3-4 days in Kyoto. I see itineraries that reflect this so I believe it is feasible.

I know 7 days never is enough, but its what I have.

However, a buddy of mine just told me "I am being really dumb for going for so short" and "I will spend the whole trip sleeping from jet lag" and he really made me think twice. Can I have your opinion?

Yes, I know it will be rushed. I know I won't see it all. But I am in my 20s and up for the rushed pace. What do you think? Honestly..

Edited: 04 August 2018, 22:09
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,286 Reviews
from US$ 143.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$ 66.60*
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

You have your answer, which is a sensible one: >>I know 7 days never is enough, but its what I have.<<

I think you'd be fine, honestly speaking. I don't think you need to worry much about being jet-lagged. There is plenty of things you can do even if you wake up in the middle of the night in Tokyo (well, not really so much in Kyoto, but you can at least start early to explore the city).

Edited: 04 August 2018, 22:22
Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Colorado
Level Contributor
928 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

If that's the only way you can go, then go. I'm way older than you, and on our trip this summer (from Denver) I really didn't have problems with jet lag. For me, the excitement of being there takes over. I had major jet lag once we got home though. :) Squeeze as much as you can into every day while you're there and do a lot of research before you go so you can make the best use of your time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

Thank you. How long was your trip?

California
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

I would choose Tokyo (and its environs) OR Kyoto (and its surroundings). If you choose the latter, fly into Kansai International Airport.

BTW Kyoto has a sister city relationship with Boston, in light of the artistic and historical origin background of both. Tokyo is an upstart city, as is Washington, D.C.

Kyoto is the most popular tourist destination in Japan for many reasons.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Kansai
Hotel Kansai
363 Reviews
Osaka, Japan
Hiroshima Washington Hotel
Hiroshima Washington...
515 Reviews
Hiroshima, Japan
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?

My first visit to Japan was 9 days split between Kyoto and Tokyo. I think even with 7 days, it is still doable to split time between the cities. What I also did was fly into Osaka and then out from Tokyo. That meant only one train trip between Kyoto and Tokyo, which is a time saver.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: One week (7 days) in Tokyo and Kyoto - is this "enough"?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted