We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

2 posts
Save Topic
Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

Hi guys/girls

I´m planning to travel to Japan by April and decided I would take the opportunity to do some divings. I was thinking mainly in Okinawa, and specifically Yonaguni as one of the spots to see. As I notice it is really close to Taiwan I was thinking to cross to Taiwan afterwards, but I´m not sure if there is any ferry or another fast and preferably not too expensive way to get there.

In short, I'm wondering if it's worth it to cross to Taiwan to avoid an innecesary "long" return to Tokyo before I return home, taking benefit of visiting another place in the process.

Could you please provide some advice?

Also, if there is any comment you would like to share about Japan I'll be glad to hear your experience

Thanks in advance

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,288 Reviews
from US$ 143.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
119 Reviews
from US$ 55.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
936 Reviews
from US$ 66.60*
4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

There are flights between Naha and Taipei. There used to be ship travel between Ishigaki and Taiwan, but don't know if that exists anymore.

What is your nationality? Do you need visa for Taiwan?

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

Hi Liars, thanks for your response. Actually the question about visa is a good one. I´m from Argentina and apparently I need one... not sure if it's easy to get it or this by itself is a good reason not to visit Taiwan.

I´m thinking that if I need to go back from Yonaguni to Naha (aprox 350km) in order to travel to Taipei maybe the travel doesn't worth it. If I just need to go to Ishigaki maybe it does... depending on how long it takes the ship travel. Do you happen to know an ETA for those travels and/or cost?

Thanks in advance

Edited: 05 August 2018, 00:57
California
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

There may be a Taiwan Consulate equivalent in Naha, and there are probably low cost carriers, but off hand I don't know fares. You can Google.

Maybe best to give up on this. Too bad, Taiwan is a great place to visit.

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
3,182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?

Several chartered flight flew in recent years between Ishigaki and Taiwan. There used to be a ferry line there until 1945 while Taiwan was a part of Japanese Empire. I don't think there has been none since then.

CI has flight between Ishigaki and Taipei, which is not daily.

Distance matters less for ferry and airline companies. Market matters for them.

Reply to: Ways to travel from Yonaguni to Taipei/Taiwan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted