We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

We are two couples planning our last few days itinerary for April 2019 with a JR pass. After Hiroshima area do we head to Kanazawa then Takayama or reverse before we head to Narita on 13th April for our flight home? We are planning 2 nights at both. I think we have to bus it between the two but we are not sure which to visit first.

6 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,840 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

It's best to post your entire plan(s) for comment. If I were you, I would try to break the journey between Hiroshima and Kanazawa with a stop at Osaka or Kyoto. It's almost a 4.5 hour ride.

If you have a JR Pass, you will be using trains 99% of the time. There is no reason to use the buses for the destinations you listed.

California
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

I favor Kanazawa and might even blow off Takayama. Plus a way stop in Osaka/Kyoto is a great idea even if you will have been there previously because you will not have seen "everything."

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
3. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

Our plans for 2 weeks to-date include

Tokyo 4 nights

Hakone 1 night

Kyoto 3 nights

Hiroshima 2 nights

Osaka 1 night (recent addition)

Takayama 1 night

Kanazawa 2 nights

We are planning Romance train to Hakone and JR railpass for others and still unsure about the Takayama to Kanazawa leg.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,694 posts
69 reviews
4. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

Why add Osaka for just one night? It's like adding another hotel change for nothing. I'd do Tokyo-Hakone-Hiroshima-Kyoto (make it 4 night instead)-Takayama-Kanazawa. Visit Osaka as a day trip from Kyoto. Actually, visit Nara in day time and go to Osaka in the evening.

I'd go to Takayama first as getting NRT from Kanazawa is more straightforward.

Get the 14 day JR Pass and use it for Hakone (JR to Odawara) as well instead of Romance Car.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

I would normally recommend Kanazawa second because getting to Narita is a whole lot easier from there than Takayama.

But, Hiroshima to Takayama is a long travel day, while Hiroshima to Kanazawa is a lot easier.

My preference is for two nights Takayama rather than Kanazawa, but if you have two night in both, that would be a good allocation. The train between Kanazawa-Takayama is pretty good.

I wouldn't include Osaka given your other locations.

California
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
335 reviews
6. Re: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?

My thinking was this: in overnighting in Hiroshima/Miyajima not leave until later in afternoon with a check in at Osaka so it would not be such a long trip to Kanazawa. Plus, then in Osaka do the usual night stuff there.

Reply to: Kanazawa or Takayama then Narita - which one first?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted