We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Here in Kyoto, I decided to change hotels and when I searched, my computer gave me the Expedia Japanese site--translated into English but with yen prices, about $160 night reduced to $130. Looking for information not given on the Expedia site, I searched the hotel generally and found it on booking.com--their price for the identical room--$275 reduced to $222!!!

Is something going on here??? Better check-out https://www.expedia.co.jp/ for deals, I think.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 21:58
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Hotel Mume
Hotel Mume
#1 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Shiraume
Shiraume
#2 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
#1 of 8 hotels in Shimukappu-mura
11 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

I don't know the reason, but it is also common that hotels in the U.S.A. are generally cheaper when you book them from the American or International sites, not from the Japanese sites.

Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
552 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

I found that this was the case when I was researching our London/Paris trip last summer. It makes good practice to check the website of the country of origin to see if you can get a better deal.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Different sites have different prices, that is why people shop around.

Also, some properties, and Japanese listings are priced per person, not per room. Make sure you get that right or the total at the end might be a nasty surprise.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,928 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

It's nothing unusual actually. While I have usually found consistent pricing, there are times when they can be very different. That's why there are price comparison sites online these days.

For the most accurate benchmark price though, I would *always* check the hotel's own website first, and then compare to 3rd party sites.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Of course I check the price comparisons. This was very different by at least $100! I only clicked on the Japanese expedia site by accident. I would never have found it in Los Angeles. Now I know.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

It works both ways, sometimes I find hotel direct bookings are significantly higher than some third party sites (by more than Y10,000 per night), and many times they have subtle differences, other times identical. I also take into account things like the loyalty benefits that some chains/sites have, and the occasional random promo code can also give a discount. (Last year I used a code from one hotel on another (because it was the same global booking engine hiding behind the two different places) and saved an extra Y20,000 on a booking.)

Possibly one of the annoying things is where the hotel direct booking has no availability, but the rooms are allocated to a third party who add their own mark-ups/commissions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
544 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Completely irrelevant to booking hotels inJapan but... Booking a Hawaii trip last staying at 4 different large hotel chains over 3 weeks.

Did my due diligence of comparing all the online booking platforms and they were almost the same. Then checked each hotels own booking website - again almost same.

Then email and also online-chat with each hotel - similar/same price to online platforms however the email/chat both added at the end - 'but suggest telephone our reservation centre for best rates'. Did that for each hotel speaking to a person on the phone and secured between 23~28% better rates (including ALL taxes) than was possible with anywhere else and joined each hotels loyalty program (free) to secure rafts of bonuses. (ie early checkin, late check out etc)

Level Contributor
3,249 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

As far as I know. the Japanese booking sites Jalan and Rakuten (the top twos in hotel booking in Japan) should normally give you the standard and probably the least expensive price including tax and without hidden costs for hotels in Japan. I'm not sure about the benefit of using an American company for hotel booking in Japan - but I might be missing something, and I don't mind using an American company if it is more reliable and less expensive.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 13:28
Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

My experience of using Rakuten etc is that they are often more expensive than booking, Expedia, hotels.com etc.

They do have some hotels that aren't available on the other sites though.

I also find that you should avoid the hotels "English" site. There is often no availability compared with the Japanese site and also they often don't have all of the special rates. Use the Japanese site and use Google translate

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America

Even the same booking site can have different prices for the same hotel, depending on the platform. The price Agoda offered via Hotelscombined was cheaper than what was offered via Tripadvisor.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 15:13
Reply to: Shocking $ difference for same hotel b/w Jp site and America
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted