We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax

Indore, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Tax

I'm trying to book my hotels in Japan for April 2019 and many of the places talk of a city tax to be added later. Does anyone know how much this would be? Do I need to factor it into my budget? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mume
Hotel Mume
#1 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Shiraume
Shiraume
#2 of 430 hotels in Kyoto
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
Club Med Tomamu Hokkaido
#1 of 8 hotels in Shimukappu-mura
5 replies to this topic
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,200 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax

FYI - many hotels in Japan do not accept reservations more than 3-6 months in advance.

Hotel and consumption taxes depends on the city. Why don't you make a dummy reservation for a hotel for next month just to see what the taxes and fess come out to?

Mentioned in this post
Indore, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax

I started making the reservations because everything seems to be booked up! I have already made several on booking.com. they don't seem to indicate anything when I book but in the fine print (particularly for apartments) they mention it.

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,857 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax

It is the Consumers Tax, you have to pay which is now 8%. The Japanese Government planned to increase the Tax to 10% in April 2017, but they postponed it in October 2019. So, if you come in April 2019, the Tax will not be increased yet.

The City Tax you have to pay in addition is the Accommodation Tax in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. In Tokyo, it was introduced in 2002, and it's just 100 yen when you stay at an accommodation costing 10,000 yen or more, while 200 yen if it costs 15,000 yen or mote. In Osaka, they introduced from 2016, similar Tax to Tokyo, but 300 yen when it costs 30,000 yen or more in addition. In Kyoto, they introduced from 2016, which is 200 yen when you stay at accommodation costing less than 20,000 yen, 500 yen if it costs 20,000-50,000 yen, or 1,000 yen if it costs more than 50,000 yen.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Indore, India
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax

Oh yes. Thank you mabei0123. I first noticed it when I booked for Kyoto and they kept referring to Osaka too. Whew. It doesn't seem so bad. Glad I'll miss the hiked consumer tax too.

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
55,200 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax

They're not booked up. You're looking too early.

Reply to: Tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted