We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR pass

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
JR pass

Hi,

I will be travelling to japan and will be staying for a 30 days and I want to know which is cheaper.

to buy the JR PASS from home or should I buy it when I'm there. since the maximum JR PASS is 21 days.

Thank you in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
598 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: JR pass

Unless things have changed I didn't think the JR Pass rules allow you to buy once you've arrived in Japan. I could be wrong though...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,967 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: JR pass

Things have indeed changed. You can now buy a JR Pass inside Japan. It costs about 13% more than buying the voucher for exchange prior to arrival though. Therefore, there is little reason to buy upon arrival if you have a properly planned itinerary in advance.

japanrailpass.net/file/jr_pass_release_en_18…

Level Contributor
103 posts
117 reviews
3. Re: JR pass

Hi,

Buy at home its cheaper.

They give you a voucher which you take to an exchange point and exchange on the day you would like to start the pass. The most its taken me or a friend to exchange the pass has been 30 minutes and if you are buying in Japan its still the same process you just give a card and not a voucher ... save yourslef 13%

Kind regards

L

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
317 reviews
4. Re: JR pass

At first, you should make your itinerary in Japan. Use the following JR Pass Calculator to roughly calculate if the JR Pass pays off or not for your itinerary.

https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Japan
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
149 reviews
5. Re: JR pass

Three points:

- you can buy multiple passes like 2 x 14-day passes and use them back to back.

- it is cheaper to buy outside of Japan

- you can buy online and have it delivered to you in Japan, avoiding the higher cost of buying locally.

Reply to: JR pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted