We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
73 reviews
What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Hi,

Im trying to figure out the passes we'll need for our trip.

Our plan was a JR 4 day kansai pass, then a one way osaka to tokyo JR.

Osaka: I realise from hyperdia JR trains don't get us some places we need to go in osaka. Our rough itinerary:

2 days: USJ, Osaka Aquarium, Dotonbori, Natual History Museum, Osaka Castle

1 day: day trip to Minoo for Mino park and to visit friends.

1 day: day trip to Kyoto

1 day another day to Nara en route to tokyo

Need advise what other pass do we need for this leg? Would a JR pass + Amazing Osaka pass be enough? Or do i need other passes?

we will be staying in Tokyo for 3 nights. We do not intend to get a JR pass. What pass should we get for within Tokyo travel? Shinjuku, Ginza area, Disneyland, NRT airport.

5 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,281 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

For your Kansai portion, you don't need any passes as single tickets will work out cheaper. The Osaka city version of the Kaiyu Ticket with aquarium admission is a good deal though. Allow 1/2 day for the aquarium itself, then spend the rest of the day going around Osaka using the subway.

www.kaiyukan.com/language/eng/kaiyu.html

I wouldn't bother with the Osaka Amazing Pass. It doesn't sound like you will use enough of its benefits to make it pay off. For the days when you don't have the Kaiyu Ticket, just get a prepaid ICOCA to go around.

Once you get to Tokyo, the same thing applies. You don't need a pass. Either use your ICOCA (if you haven't returned it in Kansai), or buy a Suica or Pasmo. They work just like the ICOCA. At the end of your trip, you can return the card to the issuer to get your unused credit.

Earth
Level Contributor
432 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Hi, i went to check on the ICOCA pass after your post and i think thats what we need!

How much should we top up? And i think we cant get a refund once out of kansai region. Should we get another card at tokyo?

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,738 posts
317 reviews
3. Re: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Top up 1,000 or 2,000 yen.

If you return the ICOCA card at any JR West station in Osaka or Kyoto, you should get a Suica (at any JR East or Tokyo Monorail Station) or Pasmo(at any non-JR East, non-Tokyo Monorail Station) card in Tokyo.

California
Level Contributor
4,408 posts
335 reviews
4. Re: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Nara is not en route to Tokyo. Visit Nara from Osaka as a day trip, and depart from Osaka to Tokyo. Look at a map, and you will see what I mean.

BTW you seem to be ignoring the advice on the special Kaiyuan (aquarium) ticket. Do get that. The only exception to the ICOCA solution which is the right course.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
190 reviews
5. Re: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel

Nara > Tokyo - it's slightly easier to change via Kyoto iso Osaka.

For the latter the JR rapid commuter train ride takes 1 hour, with a need to change at Osaka to Shin-Osaka for Tokaido Shinkansen heading to Tokyo.

For the former the JR Nara Miyako-road rapid commuter train takes 50 min to reach Kyoto, for direct transfer to the same Shinkansen train and cheaper.

Reply to: What passes do we need? kansai & tokyo travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted