We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for Hosts - Japan

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Gifts for Hosts - Japan

Hello,

Traveling to Tokyo to visit a old college friend and his family. I understand from all my research that gift giving is important but can be a slippery slope if you give gifts that are too expensive.

I have a gift for my friend and will bring is wife flowers.

Question, what do I bring for 4 boys? Aged 12, 14, 15, 17?

Thank you for your help!

3 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
335 reviews
1. Re: Gifts for Hosts - Japan

Bring a craft item from your locality, Massachusetts (?), and if there is a local sachet maker, that makes a nice gift for the wife. The kids are not really necessary unless they have given stuff to your kids in a similar set up (them coming to visit you in your home with your kids present and getting gifts). In this case, does your state have a special confectionary (we are from the San Francisco Bay Area, which has specialty chocolatiers, and a small box might do the trick). We have also given local coffee beans before to adults but have done so in Kobe where "cafe society" is more prevalent perhaps than elsewhere.

Meanwhile good on you for your cultural consideration.

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Gifts for Hosts - Japan

Thank you.

OK, I've got my gifts. How do I present them? Do I wrap/gift bag them? I read that if you wrap them, they will not open them in front of us. Its not important that I get "credit" or satisfaction from the gift. But it seems tacky (americanish) to not wrap the gifts. The customs have me losing sleep 2 days before our trip ;)

California
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
335 reviews
3. Re: Gifts for Hosts - Japan

Wrap them "simply" with a bow. Form over substance.

Reply to: Gifts for Hosts - Japan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted