We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food recomendations

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Food recomendations

Hi All. I will be visiting Jogja 7th -11th March and altough I have checked the old posts there have been no recent posts on the food options and recomendations. The old posts recomended the following :

Sekar Kedaton

warungs on Jalan Malioboro

Rumah Makan Cirebon

restaurant in the Phoenix M Gallery hotel

Gudeg Yu Djum

Omah Dhuwur Restaurant

01. Are these restaurents still good? and any other good new joints opened up?

02. First day I plan to go directly from the airport to the prambanan temple. I need a good recomendation near Airport or in the Prambanan temple area.

Denpasar
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food recomendations

Hi....

Sekar Kedaton still one of the choice for traveler.

Warung on Jalan Malioboro , there so many warung or food stall in there. Just be aware with the price.

Restaurant in Phoenix , never been there

Gudeg Yu Djum, that's always my favorite to buy Gudeg

Omah Dhuwur Restaurant , just like Sekar Kedaton , still one of the choice for traveler...

There's a new one regarding to local cuisine in Jogjakarta , is called Warung Bu Ageng at Jln. Tirtodipuran no 13... good atmosphere, always be my fave places for taking dinner

Open from 11 am until 11 pm. The price is competitive not so touristic.

Closed on Monday

The only good recommendation around Prambanan so far is Prambanan Resto

Happy traveling

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food recomendations

Thanks for the feedback Don. Much appreciated.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food recomendations

For restaurants around Airport to Prambanan, you can go to Bale Bengong. It's about 2 kms from the airport. If you don't mind local restaurant and fancy authentic Javanese food, my favorite is Sabar Menanti, not far from Bale Bengong.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food recomendations

Hi there,

Restaurant in the Phoenix M Gallery hotel and the Gudeg Yu Djum are the only ones that I've been and can highly recommend. We stayed at the Phoenix hotel, so had meals there a couple of times. Good food!

I had a list of restaurants to check out as well before hand. But when we got there, we just roughed it up. We ended up eating in local warungs, as long as it looked decent and had heaps of people eating there. And not to mention..the food was really delicious!

Enjoy the Indonesian cuisine and don't be afraid to be adventurous in trying out the local food :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food recomendations

Thanks Radjaff & Gill for the recomendations. I am already starving myself for the food that I am looking forward to eat! :)

Cheers & best wishes,

Anuj

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food recomendations

Hi again. Completed my trip and wanted to give feedback. Sadly with so few days out, I could only visit 3 of the places mentioend here.

First was Bale Bengong. Best food of the three. Great Javanese decor and wonderful food. Had fish barbecued - Both spicy and non-spicy. Also had some fresh prawns fished out of the pond. Excellent excellent! :)

Also had dinner at Pheonix M. I would personally not recommend it. The food is great, but the highlight is the hotel. The food though not overpriced is definitely expensive for Jogja. I amost paid about 60 SGD for food there for 4 people. Also the food there is more oriended to the western with excellent pasta etc, but if you want to have a more varied Javanese food, I think there are so many more exciting places to eat in Jogja.

I also ate at the Omah Dhuwur at Kota Gede. Another great suggestion. In the afternoons they have a buffet for 60K per head which means that you can eat a lot of choices of local food. Good place to eat and nice food.

Thanks Again & Cheers,

7. Re: Food recomendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 10:48