We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Hi everyone,

Our family (5 people) wil stay 3 nights in Jakarta.

I and my mom decided to stay one more night after send the others to the airport to fly back home. All of us will check out then my mom and I will move into other place.

So, we have almost 2 days and 1 night free, is there any place near the airport/convenient to have a stop by on the way to airport and worth a visit?

We would have already visited many areas in the city center incl. mangga dua, kota, and even taman mini indonesia. Mom and I have no interest in park. Beach is considered though we are not that into it.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
St. Gallen...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

To give more accurate answer.. Where are you staying and what time is your flight??

Don't bother with the beaches in Jakarta.. its filthy..

Edited: 20 August 2013, 14:07
Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Hi Stefzzz,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I haven't picked the hotel yet. I'll choose a hotel nearby what I'm going to visit.

We will send the other family member to the airport to take their flight at 1:45PM, and our flight is 1:45PM next day.

Therefore, my mom and I will have an afternoon, a night and next day morning to visit somewhere/do something.

Please give me some recommendation.

Beach is not our prefer, actually. Our country has amazingly beautiful beaches which we still haven't explored yet, and it's also the reason why we chose Jakarta over Bali.

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Nhu Hoa N, hi,

YOu asked the same thing is another topic..(post # 8 )

tripadvisor.com/…52071770

Near the Airport - CGK - Bandara Soekarno Hatta- there is nothing to see or do.

1/ The closest mall is Pluit Junction - 20 min of taxi ride.

2/ closest aqupark is Pondok Indah Kapuk Waterboom. - 25 min of taxi ride

Mentioned in this post
Soekarno-Hatta Intl Airport
Soekarno-Hatta Intl...
Jakarta, Indonesia
Bandara Hotel
Bandara Hotel
697 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Hi there, don't bother to choose a hotel near the airport just because you're sending the family off (you checked out together and have to send them to the airport a day earlier). You can actually still stay somewhere in the city without any hassle.

You can just stay in a hotel adjacent to shopping mall such as Pullman Jakarta-Central Park, Hotel Ciputra Jakarta or those in Senayan area such as Harris fX Sudirman for mid-range accommodation choice...

Mentioned in this post
Pullman Jakarta Central Park
Pullman Jakarta Central...
2,272 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Hotel Ciputra Jakarta
Hotel Ciputra Jakarta
490 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Dear all,

Thanks for your replies.

If there's nothing nearby Airport and interesting, I don't mind going a little further.

I don't find it hard to choose the hotel to stay,

I can stay either in city center for the convenience or any surburb , but in both case please recommend me some place to visit. As I said above, I think (please forgive if it's wrong) that after 4 days I've almost finished the city center: the Kota, the National Museum and around it, the Taman Mini Indonesia . I've already considered on Thousand Island but we're really not that into the beach and then Bandung, but the flight time made this option impossible.

Sorry I forgot to tell that not only park, but also shopping mall that we are not interested in. But the local market is somehow makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
National Museum
National Museum
1,466 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Thousand Islands
Thousand Islands
Java, Indonesia
Bandung
Bandung
West Java, Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Have you put Ancol on the list with the family? There's a theme park, art market, an aqauarium and others. It won't be that fun to visit with just the two of you (maybe the aquarium is fine)...

<<Sorry I forgot to tell that not only park, but also shopping mall that we are not interested in. But the local market is somehow makes sense. >>

Sorry to say, but majority of places in Jakata for tourists are shopping malls... local market: only wet market is available where one is buying veggie, but not as touristy as those in Bangkok for an instance... Also, places to buy souvenirs are mostly located INSIDE shopping malls...

Local "art" market you can try to visit is Art market inside Ancol recreation park (again, there is also a new mall inside the complex called Ancol beach city - so don't be mistaken), Surabaya Street antique market (in Menteng area, Central Jakarta), or the Chinatown (Glodok) where you can find myriad of chinese medicine halls, china-made stuff (clothing, recordings, even electronics), local foods (it's a street food but generally clean, some are home cooking) - it can also be part of your "Kota trip"...

Other area: Pasar Baru is also about (outdoor) shopping selling textiles, local made shoes, low-end souvenirs, and other stuff...

In the outskirt of Jakarta, the only attractions is either waterpark, golf course, hunting for foods or plenty of shopping malls!

Thus, it's pretty wrong if you come here and looking for attractions that is not include shopping - especially if your visit are spanning for couple days...

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Central Park
Central Park
366 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Chinatown (Glodok)
Chinatown (Glodok)
365 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pasar Baru Jakarta
Pasar Baru Jakarta
134 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

<<But the local market is somehow makes sense. >>

There is no such in JKT, the only resemblance is Jl. Surabaya that`s a place for antique/ souvenir shopping, but it`s just a street with several shops, not the open market place.

Mentioned in this post
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Hi cirque and Schonefeld,

I've considered Ancol with all members but there is no children in my family, and we even have 2 seniors so I think Taman Mini is already enough for "park".

Surabaya St. and Pasar Baru area sound good. I'll check around.

If you have any recommendation else, please let me know.

By the way, I've still got sth to ask.

1. Is there any place really suitable for seniors, kind of senior-oriented (like onsen - hot spring spa in Japan)?

2. Is there any transport service in Taman Mini. Of course we prefer to walk, but just in case some of us feel tired and can't walk anymore.

3. About nightlife, we are looking for some bar (not club or pub) where we can listen to cool live music performed by local bands. Please give me some information, especially the price of the drinks is really appreciated.

Thanks so much everybody, you've helped me a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Surabaya
Surabaya
East Java, Indonesia
Pasar Baru Jakarta
Pasar Baru Jakarta
134 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
St. Gallen...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

1) Jakarta is not really the place for senior citizens.. Can't think of any attractions that suit your interest.. Maybe golf, driving range or the occasional massage treatment??

2) there is a monorail or the cable car that goes around Taman Mini..

3) if you like jazz.. will definitely recommend Black Cat at Plaza Senayan.. Hard Rock Cafe at Plaza Indonesia though I am not sure of the schedule of the bands..

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Jakarta
Jakarta
Java, Indonesia
Plaza Senayan
Plaza Senayan
189 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Plaza Indonesia
Plaza Indonesia
121 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Jakarta and Around
Level Contributor
85 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any place on the way to Jakarta Airport worth a visit?

Hi All

Hard Rock Cafe JKT no longer at EX Plaza Indonesia since January 2013, they moved and plan to open in Pacific Place, plan to open in this august but seemly delayed.

Cheers

PDW

Mentioned in this post
Plaza Indonesia
Plaza Indonesia
121 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
Pacific Place
Pacific Place
224 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia