We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid SIM cards

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Pre-paid SIM cards

Hello all,

me and a group of friends will be in Jakarta for a week, during the end of September.

My question is, which is the best mobile phone company to buy pre-paid SIM cards with data service on them? as soon as we get there we need to have local phone numbers with access to internet.

Would like to know if it's easy, cheap and if they can be bought at the airport or in the city.

Thanks in advance!

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
1. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

3 big telco company here is telkomsel, indosat, and xl axiata. you can find the data plan from their website.

of course, buying simcard in airport is expensive. if you insist, just buy 1 in the airport, and other in the city.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
2. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

If you are looking for prepaid sim cards, there are lots of telco offer such plans.

If you are planning to use this to travel around Indonesia, I suggest to restrict yourself on 3 telcos: Telkomsel, Indosat and XL.

However, if you are just using this in Jakarta area, you can try Axis as well as this one offer unlimited internet access through Axis Pro product (refer to website for more details) which I think gives a good value if you are using internet much.

<<Would like to know if it's easy, cheap and if they can be bought at the airport or in the city.>>

there is a shop at the airport (baggage claim area) selling sim cards, but the price there has been marked up to more than 10x!

If you can wait, better wait until you reach the hotel and find a convenience store and buy from there, it's selling at market price (typical starter pack cost no more than Rp10,000 each) - and you can buy electronic reload voucher to top up. For data plan, majority of telco has subscription plan (so, after top up, you need to key in some sms to subscribe to cheap data plan).

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

hello edwie,

Better to wait until you reach your hotel, walk into a nearest mall and purchase from a shop that sells mobile phones and accessories. Beware of touts offering you prepaid SIM card at the grounds of Jakarta airport; as they sell it in exorbitant prices! (Average "empty" prepaid card costs only Rp5,000 to Rp10,000) with the lowest prepaid voucher from Rp5,000 (usually for few days only).

To learn more about the rates and plan, browse these 3 big companies with good network coverage: Indosat, Telkomsel, XL

Edited: 15 August 2013, 08:03
Sungaipenuh...
Level Contributor
209 posts
1 review
4. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

Here's an example of how to buy data for your new Telkomsel SIM card:

*Buy your SIM card (which should only be 5000 IDR).

*Top it up with 100,000 IDR of pulsa (buy a card at the kiosk, or just ask the person to do it electronically)

*Call *363#

*Hit option number 2 - Telkomsel Flash

*Go for option 1 - Flash Volume -Ultima

*Option 3 - Flash Bulanan

*Choose whichever amount you want (in this case, option 2 for 3 GB of data at 60,000 IDR)

*Choose "ya"

And you're done. Congrats, you have 3 GB of data and 40,000 IDR of pulsa left to go wild with SMS and voice.

To check how much data you have left, type in *889#

To check how much pulsa you have left, type in *888#

Edited: 15 August 2013, 10:17
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

Hi everyone,

I've just had a look around and found the unlimited data package of AXIS sounds good.

It's called Internet Gaul package which charges us IDR9,900 for 1 week of using unlimited data with the first 200mb high speed.

Just an little question here... Can an AXIS sim card be found easily near my hotel (Mangga Dua area), and how about its signal quality, if we only stay in Jakarta and around, the furthest we go is Taman Mini? It won't make sense if we use a good package but the signal is usually lost...

Thanks so much!

Edited: 29 August 2013, 15:45
Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
118 reviews
6. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

1/ The internet connection via sim card is pretty OK, TMII is no problem. The telephone connection quality is rather poor around the whole city, that`s why people over here prefer texting............LOL

2/ <,Can an AXIS sim card be found easily near my hotel (Mangga Dua area)>>

Just ask the receptionist where to find the nearest kiosk, she/ he will do his best to locate one for you.

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
7. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

you can find axis starter pack easily around mangga dua.

internet connection in city is ok. but, if you going out of the city, the signal can be bad.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

Axis has pretty good connection in the city area, i myself are using the unlimited data plan from axis for my mobile; rp50,000 for 1,5Gb per month and it is the cheapest unlimited data plan so far. For a comparison, in case you exceeded the fair usage limit, the speed will throttle down but you are still able to open standard email page pretty fast, with other telco, in case you exceeded the limit, it takes so long to load even basic email...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
9. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

Does Axis has internet coverage at Bandung?

St. Gallen...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Pre-paid SIM cards

The internet package applies to almost all regions in Indonesia.. especially in big cities like Bandung..

Cheers