We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Greetings!

We are arriving in Jakarta (Terminal 2) at midnight, and our connecting flight still leaves at 6am (Terminal 3). Can anyone suggest which Terminal to stay during our wait?

Does anyone know what time the free shuttle starts (to go to Terminal 3)? If it starts too late for us to check in, then how far is the walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3?

If taking a taxi is a must, then, how much is a taxi ride from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3?

Thank you!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Hi

The shuttle starts around 5 or 6am, so there is no chance for you to depend on shuttle. Take taxi instead (Blue Bird Group taxi is always metered, no matter what time it is). It will cost around Rp10,000 (USD1). You also cannot walk as there is no sidewalk that links Terminal 2 and Terminal 3.

Both Terminal 2 and 3 are ok to hang around, but very little shop/cafe will open during midnight, the whole terminal will also be dimmed, so always take care of your belongings.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,754 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

If you don't mind roughing it out then go up to the departure area of Terminal 2 and you will see there many benches where many backpackers are sleeping.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

i would not recommend anyone to hang around ternimals in CGK at night time, even if the connection is 3 hours or less............. in your case you have 6 hours, a decent pillow and a clean linens under your back is much better than loitering in the airport throughout the night.

Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

I have not yet seen CGK (departure area), if it is suitable to hang out or not. Maybe, there is a 24 fastfood in that area. If there are backpackers who sleep in that area, maybe, there is an area for us to wait as well. If not, then, there is always the airport hotel, which is a bit pricey, but maybe can give us around 3 to 4 hours sleep.

Thank you again!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Which airport hotel???

The one in the terminal building????

jakartaairporthotel.com/index_sub.asp…

There are newer, cheaper and better options in the direct vicinity of CGK with free shuttle to/ from airport:

FM7 Resort Hotel

Amaris Bandara

Sheraton Bandara

Aston Cenkareng

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

I am a little concerned that with a 24:00 arrival, de-planning and immigration/baggage retrieval/customs clearance they are out into the public areas of their arriving terminal (T2) probably no earlier than 00:30 at best.

Then they have to find a taxi rank and get to some sort of accommodation facility, check-in at reception then get to their room. That might take care of another 30-45 min at a minimum.

They would need the same to get out of their room, check-out, pay get into a taxi and get back to the airport (T3).

Assuming they are taking a 06:00 domestic flight from T3 they should would normally be expected to arrive at the terminal a minimum of 1.5 hours pre-flight departure, 2 hr+ for an international flight.

That gives them 2 hours at the hotel at the best, and I suspect it may end up being less in reality.

I suppose the brief bed-rest and shower for 1-2 hours or so has it's advantages but I do wonder how exhausting the whole experience might be. Also as the OP is apparently unfamiliar with CGK and Jakarta leaving the T2-T3 environment or going further than just doing a terminal change by Bluebird taxi bluebirdgroup.com/passenger-transportation/r… may be somewhat nerve wracking.

Edited: 27 May 2012, 11:54
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Thank you for the tips, j_hurcules. It is a good thing you mentioned all these. It may be just wiser to stay at the departure area at Terminal 2 and wait it out till it is time to take a taxi to Terminal 3 (at around 4:30am).

Thank you!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Do pay heed to the POV expressed by Schonefeld.

CGK is not really 'user-friendly' in the middle of the night.

I would do it but I am a bit crazy and I know the place fairly well.

I would not send a friend of mine there on their own that late at night unless they were a very capable and resourceful person who did not get rattled, confused or mislead easily.

Maybe head for T3 as soon as you get in.

At least then you are not moving across in the pre-dawn hours and have not had a chance to inadvertently go to sleep.

That way at least you are already in your departure terminal.

ONLY use a Bluebird or a Silverbird taxi to make that transfer.

When you get there look around the terminal, work out where you are and where the security people are.

If you are bothered by someone just ignore them, hopefully they will go away.

If they do not go away then secure your belongings with great care and move to an alternative location. This is why I mentioned looking around when you first get there, that is so you will know an alternative place to go to and not look as though you are wandering around lost.

Always look confident and capable and most people will not bother you.

Indonesians are often just plain friendly, there is not necessarily an ulterior motive, but airports can be an odd environment.

Make good use of situational awareness skills when you are there at the airport in the middle of the night. If you don't know what that means then this is a good time to look it up on the internet and find out:)

Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

Thank you for all the advice. Once we arrive, we shall check the airport and evaluate the situation. I appreciate all the advice and I will most certainly note everything.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay while waiting at airport at midnight?

You can check this website: www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp…

CGK is not a good option to sleep in.

I agree with j_hurcules, there's no point of finding an airport hotel if you only have 2 hours between transfer. Your best choice is spending your time in the 24hr fast food chain outside the hall. Maybe you can also get some sleep there :)