We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Just a note for those thinking of flying in to the Bali Airport on these dates:

October 4 - 6 and Octoer 8 - 9

thejakartapost.com/news/2013/06/27/temporary…

The Airport will be closed for the arrival of delegates to the APEC conference, and presumably a lot of increased very tight security, traffic problems, motorcades and so forth.

In fact, it would probably be better to stay away from the area from the Airport all the way to Nusa Dua during this entire time (Oct 4 - 9) and a day or two on either side.

This info has already been posted on the forum before, but I just want to warn people again. Last year there was a much smaller APEC conference and traffic was pretty bad then...

If you absolutely have to be in that area, try to give yourself an extra hour or two to get anywhere.

This also impact people planning to stay in hotels in that area..security and traffic could be impacted as well.

I personally have adjusted my domestic travel during this period.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thanks for the reminder UP. DH and I were considering Bali again for our wedding anniversary, but due to work schedules would only be able to fly in on Sat 5th Oct..... right when the airport is closed I believe. So unfortunately we will have to say no to Bali this time (although never fear, we have our May airfares booked!) and chance good weather in Phuket instead.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thanks Chazwazza : I'ts unfortunate that you must change your plans, and the airport is actually only officially closed from 10 to 4 pm, but I have to think that it will make all the other flights backed up and make for a possibly frustrating situation.

I am not trying to deter visits to Bali or Indonesia in any way, however. I just think it's better to know ahead of time and plan well, than have logjams and unnecessarily long waits.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Oh I am due to fly in on Wednesday 9th at 10pm, you have me really worried now. I have already rescheduled planned dental appointments until the Friday just in case we are delayed. I really hope Jetstar delay us in Sydney and dont divert us.

Kate

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Lets' hope all the clear by the time you land..there is nowhere else for them to divert you so I'm sure you will arrive..it just might be crowded.

Last year I took off the same day Obama was set to leave and I actually saw Air Force One on the runway..the airport was fine...but then again...you can never tell....

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thank you Ubudpuppy for bringing this up one more time and good to see that the Jakarta Post reads the Bali Trip Advisor forum claiming that the government announced these delays last Wednesday (when I posted the info on TA) while in fact the memorandum by the government was issued on 17 May ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thanks Ubudpuppy and Bori for these posts. I was well aware when I booked my ticket that the conference was finishing on the 8th, so I booked for the 9th and looks like I will just take my chances. Others might have no idea whatsoever so these updates are a great way of getting the word out. I find that trip advisor keeps you updated more than the airlines at most times.

cheers,

Kate

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,480 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thanks ubudpuppy

Do you have an idea when the writer's festival is on in Ubud and will that coincide with the APEC conference or is it later in October? I had the dates somewhere but now can't find them.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

I think we should try and keep this on the front page for a while in case it is affecting others.

Kate

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,868 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Chewy: Thanks for posting on the other thread about the Writer's conference... I'm re-posting here so that people don't have to toggle back and forth. As noted, it runs from the 11th to 15 of October...smart timing by Janet's team!

http://www.ubudwritersfestival.com/

Ibaraki, Japan
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: APEC conference in Nusa Dua early October 2013

Thanks for the info, ubudpuppy.

My hubby and I are visiting bali for our honeymoon from Oct. 1st to 6th.

We've made a reservation for dolphin watching and parasailing in Nusa Dua area and it's supposed to be held on Oct. 3rd.

At the moment, we're just crossing our fingers for it but do you think Nusa Dua area will be closed or they might prohibit such activities during/around the time of conference???

Cheers

Edited: 06 August 2013, 07:44