We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

smithton
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

hi all

my 24 y.o. daughter and i are about to land in bali in 3 weeks time

we are staying a week in legian and 3 nights in ubud

i have been here twice before but would like some info on the following for my daughters sake who is on a tight budget just having purchased a house. she loves nature, quiet, culture as well as shopping, social, fun stuff

thanks in advance!

she is a pre- school teacher who loves kids and babies - is there anywhere we could visit primary school or orphange in these areas and how do we arrange it

spas - any suggestions for cheap good massages in these areas

jimbaran bay/sunset dinner - is it worth it? suggestions of where to eat. any other options for a sunset dinner

day/half day trip suggestions

white water rafting - she is nervous about this, how dangerous is it

waterbom park - worth going to? shes into fun stuff. how do we get there from legian

wow! thats a lot, thanks again

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

Hi Christine

I'd suggest to do a search of the forum re orphanages/schools you will find plenty of info.

You could contact these when in Bali

Seeds of Hope Children's Home

62 361 422 677

Bumi Sehat Birthing Centre -Ubud

62 361 970002

Kupukupu foundation (means butterfly)

www.kupukupufoundation.org

Spa's/Massage: these are in Legian

Intan Massage-Manicure, Garlic lane (Jl Sahadewa)near King Tailor

Melasti Spa outside Melasti Beach Hotel, Jl Padma Utara

PIPS Pampuring in Paradise, Jl Melasti

Green Eden spa across from Puri Damai, Jl Werkudara heading north after Kumala Pantai Hotel

Santai Spa Jl Padma Utara (ask for Komang)

Briella Spa diagonally opp Kumala Pantai Hotel

Carla Spa Jl Padma Utara

Jimbaran/Kedonganan(also has seafood restaurants). It is worth it for the experience of sitting at candle lit tables at the waters edge, take your shoes/thongs off and put your feet into the sand. There are musicians who wander and come to your table to serinade you, they will also play requests.

Many drivers/taxi drivers will recommnd a 'particular' restaurant as they are given commission.

There are restaurants along JL Pantai Kuta(beachroad) at Discovery Mall beachside, Tuban, Legian north from Jayakarta hotel, Italian, Seafood etc, and Seminyak, also the beach bars north from Jl Double six.

Day trips:

Bedugal, Lake Bratan, Candi Kuning markets

Tegalalang

Sukuwati area, if you are interested in bed quilts, bali umbrellas etc.

Sukawati market (clothing, wind chimes etc )& Guwang market (paintings)

Bird Park & Reptile Park

Scoot boat to Nusa Lembongan, there is also the Bali Hai & Bounty big Cats to Nusa Lembongan.

Tanjung Benoa for watersports, parasailing, flying fish, jet ski's, banana boats.

Trip into Denpasar for a wander in the Dept stores, Matahari, Robinsons, Ramayana, Tiara shopping centre and stop at Candra on Teuku Umar for Babi Guling.

WWR??i'll leave it to others.

Waterbom is definately a must, a lot of fun & laughs.

Plan to arrive when it opens at 9am to secure a lounge in a good pozzie.

There are lockers for bags/valuables, take a pool towel from your hotel or you can hire there. (can not take food/drinks from outside staff will check your bags on entry)

Best to take a taxi from Legian 30,000rup

There are restaurants along the beachfront Jl Pantai Kuta, hotels Tuban and beachfront at Legian there is a strip of restaurants north from the Jayakarta hotel, Italian, Seafood, etc.

Seminyak more 'upmarket' KUDETA, Potato Head etc

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

Oops, should have deleted the bottom bit after the taxi, sorry!

Sydney
Level Contributor
74 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

So if you are interested in visting an Orphanage close to Legian I suggest you go to Sidhi Astu.  However if you wish to be a little more adventourous  head up to Palasari Orphanage. Palasari is a lot more remote (about a  3 – 4 hour drive up the north coast of Bali)  They have very little supplies and very little visitors.  They  really need our help.  I will defiantly be visiting Palasari Next trip. If you leave early from Legain you can always combine the Drive to Palasari with a visit to Balian and Medowie then ending your day on your return journey  with sunset at Tanalot or Cangu.

Jimberan Bay- Definately say Seaside Cafe wins hands down, fresh large dishes. Yum. Won't be disappointed.

As your staying Legian, be sure to try a few snazzy restaurants. A few Favs of mine to reccommend are Zanzibar ( ocean front views on sunset is amazing) and Tubes on poppies 2 best garlic squid I have ever eaten in my life...

I'm a food fanatic!

Sage trip.

Bali Bagus

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

Hi Christine, if you are going to Ubud you daughter might really enjoy teach english at the following school

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k446…

Also in note that you have asked for suggestions that are cheap and some of the above ideas are rather expensive. A day trip to Nusa Lembongan will set you back A$70 upwards each. IMHO Jimbaran Bay seafood is very overpriced and touristy. If you want to have dinner with a nice sunset get a taxi driver to drop you off on the beach at Double six then start to walk back towards Legian and there are heaps of nice restaurants OK you are not on the sand but still a great atmosphere.

A half day trip to Tanah Lot or Uluwatu is a good idea and will set you back about $20-30 for transport

Also when in Ubud here is a link to a spa I go to about 5 mins taxi ride outside of ubud...I love them www.evaspabali.com

Hope you both have heaps of fun ... Vicki

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

If you get dropped off at Double Six and head north (turn right along the beachfront) there are lots of great little bars with bean bags in the sand where you could have sunset drinks, then head back towards Legian for dinner (as above post). Lots of people and great atmosphere.

6. Re: bali trip with mum and 24 y.o. daughter tips request

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 08:47