We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items that you can bring back into Australia

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Items that you can bring back into Australia

Would like to know what are the lovely items , souvenirs, handicraft, food, etc that we can bring back to Melbourne without having ANY problems with the customs or quarantines dept ? I know they are quite picky with wood products. Since the airlines does give a 30kg limit, I would not mind filling up some nice gifts to bring back.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

It's easier to list the ones they definitely won't allow in: These are ones I know about

Anyting made of banana leaf.

Luwak Coffee

Anything made of natural plant products (rattan, coffee/tea leaves used as decoration etc) that hasn't been specially fumigated and you have the certificates to prove it. Bamboo is usually ok in it's timber form but check about anything that has leaves on it.

Anything that looks or can be used as a weapon.

Fireworks

Any coffee sachets that have a milk powder included, but only if the milk powder was made in China.

Wooden items are fine as long as there is nothing growing off or in them. A good gauge is to shake the item over a light coloured cloth or paper and if anything falls out, it's not safe. Also if it's in a plastic bag, look in the bottom of the bag, if there is any sediment, it's got insects boring into it. Another good idea if you buy wooden items is to give them a spray with insect repellent just to be sure.

For a full list you are probably better to go to the customes website:http://www.customs.gov.au/

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Or try this site , I find it a bit easier

daff.gov.au/aqis/…cant-take

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Just be honest and declare everything - I have never had anything taken off me.

Food is fine if it is processed - and if its manufactured in Malaysia - it is normally refused, but manufactured in Indonesia is ok.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Thanks Whinnie and Freakybudboi. Great information. I will definitely check out the AQIS website.

Another thing thats very popular is snake skin products, ie handbags and purses and jackets. Are they allowed in if we declare them? Its not very clear in the AQIS website.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Agreed.... I recently brought back bamboo, rattan, other wooden products, vanilla beans, spices, coffee, the list goes on...and declared everything. No problems :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Try to carry anything for declaration in your carry on bag, makes life a whole lot easier than going through your case at Customs. If you're buying bamboo, rattan place mats, other wooden objects place them in a plastic bag and give them a liberal spray of mortein (you can get it a the local delis), tie it up and leave for 24 hours , re-wrap them in a clean bag before going home. You'll be less likely to take any unwanted bugs back into Oz.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

If you want a bamboo wind chime make sure you don't buy the one with the grass roof bird house on the top as the grass roof is not allowed in. When we realised it was just the grass roof that wasn't ok, we asked the customs lady to cut the bamboo chimes off it and my husband made something else for me to attach them too when we got home. :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Snake skin products are actually a Customs issue not Quarantine, so you would have to check with them. Some snakes are actually protected by CITES (convention of endangered species).You will have to provide documentation from the manufacurer of the snake skin product as to what type of snake the skin was sourced from, if not then the goods will usually be confiscated.

Kate

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Whinnie,

I note that you said banana leaf products are not aloud back in Australia, in your opinion what chance do u think I would have go getting banana trunk candle holders back in if I was to spray them with mortein and wrap in a clean bag as one of the other members suggested?

Promise I won't keep u to it if they take them from me in customs when I go in a November, if u think it is woth the try - LOL

They have them around the pool at the Royal Beach where I stay and would love them for around my pool at home

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Items that you can bring back into Australia

Banana and anything from the banana tree is banned into Australia. There are parts of Australia even where you can't bring bananas from other parts of Australia in. It has something to do with our banana trees not having a certain disease that most other countries banana crops do. They are really strict about this plant, I"m afraid.