We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midnight arrival/car rental

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Midnight arrival/car rental

Does anyone know if it is possible to rent a car at the airport late at night?

Which car hire companies are recommended?

My friends dont want a car with driver. They would like to drive themselves.

Thank you for your help.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

Your friends may like to rethink this. They would be better advised to get a driver from the airport and wait until daylight AND some appreciation and understanding of Bali traffic before attempting to drive themselves.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

Hi,

My advice would be to use a taxi for the first evening to reach your hotel, then the next morning you'll be able to find a local rental shop much cheaper than anything at the airport.

That's if they're spending their first night in the south and if after seeing traffic and local behavior on the road they do decide to go ahead.

Nothing you've seen in Ireland will come anywhere close to driving in Bali.

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

Personally I would not be driving in Bali. I always have someone drive me. However many people do choose to drive themselves.

These folks, rightly or wrongly, dont want to spend a night in the south.. but want to head directly from the airport away from the south.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pick up a hire car around midnight?

Thank you for any info.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

Hum IMO that's brave bordering on dangerous.

Driving in Bali is already tough, but at night, going to the countryside after a couple of long flights.... and being a first time visitor.

Were are they planning to go from the Airport ?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,209 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

I may be wrong here, but don't you just pre-book the car, giving your pick up time and location then someone is there to meet and greet? Avis, Hertz and Thrifty would be the usual suspects.

6. Re: Midnight arrival/car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 19:48