We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol prices

Scotland
Level Contributor
203 posts
38 reviews
36 helpful votes
Alcohol prices
Save

My friends and I are thinking about going to Bali in July for 10 days. We were deciding between Bali and Hawaii and the thing that swung it to Bali for us was that we can get there for the same price from the UK but the accomodation will be much nicer and it will be cheaper to eat out and get around.

However, a lot of people have mentioned that drinking is very expensive. Can anyone give me an idea of how expensive? And if anyone has been to Hawaii how does it compare?

We don't drink beer so the average price for cocktails, vodka and wine would be important to us.

Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
21 helpful votes
1. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

Don't be put off.

Bottles of good wine are expensive as are top shelf spirits, but you can take a litre in each and cocktails are readily available from $5.00 a glass, 2 for the price of 1 at Happy Hour.

I don't mind a local wine now and again for under $5.00 or I will splash out for a decent bottle at a nice restaurant. Be prepared to pay $40..00 ++++++ for this though. I would certainly not choose Hawaii based on drink prices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
598 posts
14 reviews
35 helpful votes
2. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

We were in Bali last june and heading back again in May and found the drinks on the average to home price except for wine it is expensive and the beer is cheap as for the spirits it compare to us here I have no idea how that will go for you but for example Jonhny walker red and coke was about $6.00 Australian and then it was about the same for all other spirits I am not sure on Cocktails but someone else will help out there. Hotel prices are even higher than that and although we did not buy wine I only ever heard people complain how expensive it was.

I hope this helps a little

Cheers ian

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
62 reviews
191 helpful votes
3. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

Booze in Bali is just expensive in comparison to food really, and can depend on where you drink, and what you drink, and the exchange rate.

Cocktails, generally you're looking at £3.20 to £4.20 on average (you can buy a meal for that), although if in the swankier clubs and restaurants you're looking at double. Look for the many happy hours, ladies nights, Buy One Get One Free offers etc, if you want to maximise your drinking.

Shame you're not a beer drinker, since you can get a large bottle of Bintang for around £2.00.

You can go for the local spirits, either with a mixer or in a cocktail. For instance, for an Arak Attack you can pay as little as £1.40. Take some paracetamol with you though as you'll feel as rough as Tarzan's feet the following morning.

Might be worth bringing a bottle of good wine or vodka with you, you're allowed 1 litre per person.

Edited: 11 years ago
sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
80 reviews
52 helpful votes
4. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

I find that when we go to dinner - maybe we both have two mixed drinks or two cocktails each, and the liqour bill is the same price as the dinner.

Duty free is cheap, and happy hours are great to get a few in.

Its nice to have a few cocktails - but you really dont want to get smashed every night - and spend half the next day sleeping or hungover - when there is so much sun, beach, pool, shopping, massages, tours and just enjoying magnificant Bali.

Southern...
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
88 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

The Indo Gov. has just increased the tax on booze by a huge amount. It is a pity that you don't drink beer as it is a resonable price. Wine and liquor are expensive but some places are cheaper than others.

I for one never take duty free as I would rather go out than drink in the hotel room. The cost of food will more than make up for the drink price.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
20,983 posts
91 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

As I mostly drink beer in Bali (Bintang) €2 for a large Bintang is ok and as noodles said eating out is pretty cheap so the overall bill for an evening is pretty cheap. Have the odd G&T now and again but not every night. Various bars have happy hours where you can take advantage of "twofers".

If you decide to go to Hard Rock not only will you freeze to death with all the japanese tourists you will also have a large hole in your wallet

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
560 posts
7. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

Hi, when I was in Thailand I drank local spirits, very cheap and tasted alot like scotch or rum and they had a local vodka. Do they have local spirits in Bali??

Thanks,

C.

Southern...
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
88 reviews
44 helpful votes
8. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

In Bali they have arak.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

Bali does have its own gin, vodka and whiskey. It is not great but if you drown your spirits in coke or similar maybe you won't mind.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4 posts
10. Re: Alcohol prices
Save

i found u can get all top shelf imported spirits for under $40 aus 750ml .made,s kuta liquormart