We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Can anyone please tell me the main differences between the 3 areas... good and bad!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
1 review
1. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Basically Seminyak has more upmarket boutiques/shopping restaurants & accommodation eg villas.

Has more trendy clubs & is a more popular area for gay clientele

Kuta has many budget type places to stay & is closer to the airport.

Also has many clubs & pubs

All now have traffic congestion, construction, as well as the usual beach, shopping, restaurants etc

I generally like to stay around Legian area.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Hi MJ

If you mention Kuta, many people's hair will stand on end!!

There is Kuta Square, fixed price shops both sides with road/island in between and at certain times of the days it's manic, traffic congested and heavy walking traffic. Most people at some stage end up in Matahari's dept store.

Kuta is also Poppies lanes, popular with surfers, backpackers and travellers looking for budget accommodation.You will find bars/warungs(cheap eating)restaurants &shops,some fixed price and the market type stalls selling the beachwear. Bali nic nacs etc. Come in off Jl Panti Kuta (the beachfront road into Poppies 2) and you will find many of these stalls/shops.Walking traffic has to contend with motor bikes, and the odd 4WD/Van.

The beach is a buzz during the day, sun worshipper's, some brown as berries,many in teeny-weeny bikini's (a long time ago..)and surfers in boardies,the beach sellers & beach bars(eskies with Bintangs,water/softdrinks)where you can also hire the sun loungers/boards.

Legian is more laid back, it's quieter than Kuta as in people walking the streets, still a good choice of restaurants/bars and shopping and in certain sections of the beach it's also quieter.The beachfront hotels are separated from the beach by a walking only path.Kuta and Legian beach are a buzz from around 4.30pm till sunset.Legian(beachfront)is also our preferred area to stay.

Seminyak is also quiet and it's easy to wander the streets without too much traffic off Jl Raya Seminyak and the beach is also quieter.There is a good choice of fixed price shopping/homewares, jewellery,clothing/shoes, paintings etc and it's usually busy in and around Bintang supermarket on Jl Raya Seminyak day/evening.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Legian is a happy medium. I prefer it there when I go. Kuta is just tooo tooo busy and full of market style shops/stalls Seminyak is veryu upmarket but I love going there and Legian is in the middle and we walk to both (albeit a long walk)

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Seminyak is not all upmarket and there are fantastic places to eat, shop, spa, wander at no more cost than Kuta or Legian. In fact I ate at the new favourite Mozzarella in Legian and thought it was pretty ordinary for rather inflated prices.

The only item cheaper than my regular haunts in Seminyak was beer.

The bad for me would be the frantic noise and crowds of Kuta, but many love that, so it is a matter of personal preference.

Mount Gambier...
Level Contributor
1,915 posts
311 reviews
5. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Excellent.. thanks.. its hard researching a new place and getting your head around the options! Legian sounds like our kind of place!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

Linda Don't get me wrong about upmarket. In respect to the general shopping, accomodation etc it is very different to Kuta. I was just trying to explain that they were different. I love Seminyak and often stay there. I love the restaurants, shops etc but it is definitly a different feel to Kuta.Villas in Seminyak are way upmarket to "villas" in Kuta.

7. Re: Differences between the areas - Kuta v Seminyak v Legian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 10:46