We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Money

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
317 reviews
New Money

I have just read that a new 1,000 rupiah coin is to be introduced in Indonesia along with a new 10,000 rupiah note. Now, the exciting thing is that the new 10,000 rupiah note is to be blue in colour, not red, so there should no longer be any confusion between the 10,000 and 100,000 rupiah note. I had a friend who tipped the airport porters 200,000 instead of 20,000 once (you only do this kind of thing once) so this situation should no longer arise - good news?

Cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: New Money

No confusion until you get the BLUE 50,000rp note :) :)

perth
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
2. Re: New Money

I already had the new note and it is a problem for now people are looking at it and one lady refused to accepted it same with the taxi drivers they dont know as yet about the new notes !

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,605 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: New Money

It's a very slight improvement in my opinion, quite often even on here I'll have to look twice at the number of zeros I'm typing. But as Linda mentions, there's already a blue note, so I can see this being confusing for some people. But 50000 should be less easy to confuse with 10000 if you're careful.

I guess the message is to be careful and check what your husbands are pulling out of their wallets.

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
345 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: New Money

'check what your husbands are pulling out of their wallets'

Tut, tut, tut Happynoodleboy - Dare I say that may just upset a few of the ladies on this site. ;oD

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: New Money

This is good news, all those zeros are hard to get used to, if the color between 10 000 and 100 000 is different that's helping.

New 1000 rp coin, will it replace the 1000 note ?? And what happens to candy and peanuts ??

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: New Money

I thought you'd won lotto when I saw the title of your post ilab!!!!!

Good news about the colour change of the 10,000rp notes though. My Dad tried to shout us all dinner one night with 20,000rp and he has been to Bali many, many times!!

Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
317 reviews
7. Re: New Money

I wish!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
207 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: New Money

Gee Ilab,

Lucky for your friend those airport porters have a conscience and would have told her it was too much to tip!!!!! LOL.

Ochervet is correct. Even though there is already a blue note with the 50k it will be easier to distinguish with one note starting with 1 & the other 5.

Edited: 28 July 2010, 11:27
Sydney
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,624 posts
317 reviews
9. Re: New Money

Hi Camo923

Yes, you are right - they came running after her to tell her that she had made a mistake! LOL I think they went home early that night.

Cheers

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,899 posts
116 reviews
10. Re: New Money

How odd bringing out a 2000 note this year and now doing away with the 1000 note.

Yes I have almost tipped 100 000 instead of 10 000 too, be aware.