We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good, Street Food in Bali?

South Africa
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Good, Street Food in Bali?

We are going over on Sabbatical for 6 weeks with our 2 kids (3 and 4) and want to try and find some good street food places, as don't want to only eat hotel food.....does anyone know if there are various safe "cart food" brands; or does it not work like that? Also are there any tips on what to order for kids that are not too spicy? Thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

I personally wouldn't recommend eating from 'carts', I think it is too risky. Only my opinion though. There are literally hundreds of restaurants around Bali, so you don't ever have to eat in your hotel if you don't want to. Local warungs are much safer than carts, so you can try those. I am sure there are people on this forum that can recommend local warungs that are good.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

If you look past the tourist restaurants you will see hundreds of little local warungs that serve the most amazing food. Try some of these. If the food is Panang style and is pre-made and on display in glass cabinets, pick a place that is busy so that the food turn over is ok. But if it's a place that makes their food from scratch after you order, you will be fine.

These little local places, in my experience will ask how spicy you want your order to be.

The best advice I can give you is not to judge a book by it's cover in Bali. Some of the crudest, most basic buildings will serve amazing local food.

Especially with the kids, I wouldn't advise eating from the mobile carts you will see aroung the place unless you know a local who can vouch for the food that comes off that particular cart. It took Hubby and I quite a few years to work up to eating off the carts and now only do it from the carts where we know the guy pushing it or we know his usual route and where the cart is loaded at the start of his day.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

I'm assuming by street food you mean the Bakso and Sate Kambing? (and similar food from push carts). Unlike Thailand where food is very clean and no dishes are involved, the food from street carts ("kaki lima" ) are not really recommended, as the dishes are rinsed in water held below the soup and used directly again by other customers. It is your call if you want to expose your family to this, but if you do not have the built up resistance, I would instead eat at regular restaurants or warung makan. Even the goat sate "sate kambing" is dubious quality, as Indonesians like to eat globs of fat and cartilage and the roadsides are very dusty.

I assume you know the difference between street food and hotel food, right? there is a wide chasm between the two and those are called cafes or restaurants or warung makan. That's probably where most tourists eat, not at hotel restaurants.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

Oh, and the food Whinny is referring to is called "Nasi Padang" which is from the Minangkabao region of West Sumatra. If you see restaurants with words Padang or Minang and have stacks of little dishes in front that is it. You choose your food and they serve it to you. If you go to the fancy Padang restaurants the real traditional manner is you sit down, they serve you dishes of everything they have in the restaurant, and you pick and choose what you want to eat. After you eat, they count the dishes and only charge you for what you ate. The rest go back to the window. However, in 99% of the Padang restaurants in Bali they do the pick and choose directly from the window method, and it's probably better from a hygiene standpoint.

Very good food, great flavor, using lots of coconut and spice.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

I do apologise, I'm famous for my typos, LOL. ubudpuppy seems to have the same problem with my name.......................

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

A freudian 'petticoat" maybe Whinnie? :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

Lol, Linda, maybe, maybe................ :-), but mine was probably my normal problem of my fingers working faster than my brain............as usual.

Darwin
Level Contributor
342 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

I was really keen to eat from the carts, but our local driver told me that in the tourist areas the vendors often add formaldahyde (used for taxidermy!) to make the food last longer.......not sure if it is true but I stayed away after that. I agree with the others though, the warungs are fantastic.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

A year or so ago it was big news...not the cart pushers but the manufacturers were putting formaldyhyde in the bakso (mystery meatballs). We presume that is over but hey you never know!!!!

And sorry, Whinnie...:)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good, Street Food in Bali?

Mmmmmmm bakso..................my absolute all time favourite. Luv it.