We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Converting Indian Rupees

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Converting Indian Rupees

Any travellers from India to Bali who have had any experience of converting Indian Rupees to Rupiah? I have not had any success after calling Indonesia and checking the websites of the Currency Exchanges recommended on this forum.

Any comments on re-converting before re-entering India (because of the restrictions here)?

This is my biggest worry and headache now. Hope the ATMs work.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

My advice would be to make sure you only change enough each couple of days in Bali to suit your needs. Then you won't have a huge amount to change back to Indian Rupees on your return home.

As for converting Rupees into Rupiah, have a look at the helpful hints on exchanging money under the 'Top Questions about Bali' link on the top right of this forum page.

Any Rupiah left over should be used as an incentive to return to Bali - we always use that excuse...not that we need one.

2. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 18:06
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

No I understand what you mean Ruff and I think your question is fine. Often people do exchange more than they need or can spend and of course want to change it back when they get home. Regards.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
214 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

Most of the money changers i noticed in Kuta don't show the conversion for INR as per my info. Do read the link below for money exchange, if you are first timer in Bali. Good collection of info in that.

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k2998…

Exchange Rate Link: www.balibestrate.com/dmoneychanger.php

Also note there is a exit tax in Bali 150.000 IDR per person. So you will need to save that much amount while exiting. Entry Visa is 25USD.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 14:12
Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

Thank you very much for all the help.

Converting rupees would not have helepd much in any case, since there is a pretty low limit on the amount of currency that can be taken out of the country. Would just not cover expenses for our stay in Bali.

I spoke to my banker this morning and he advised taking USD, which is what I am doing.

Thank you for all the links. I have printed off the conversion cheat sheets.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

Glad you're all sorted Ruff....

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

Thanks, Soo. Thank you once again for all your help.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

No worries Ruff, have a lovely holiday.

9. Re: Converting Indian Rupees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 11:59