We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insects

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
insects

I heard that there are insects in Bali that are dangerous, a single bite could make you die, is it true, my daughter is allergic to insect bites, not a severe allergy though, should i be concerned, any places to avoid, can anyone provide more info about this subject pls.as i'm very worried. Thanks.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,323 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: insects

Hmmmm, you're referring to the deadly kung-fu ants who can kill you with one punch from their secret elbows.

Whoever told you this needs a nasty practical joke playing on them. If you're not going jungle trekking, expect the occasional mosquito (there have been cases of Dengue Fever reported in Bali, take sensible precautions both day and night by wearing repellent), or the occasional biting ant on the beach or around the pool. Nothing to get worried about. Bali is a tropical country, so you will get the odd snake, and possibly sea urchin if you're unlucky enough. Certainly a small harmless lizard in your room, who you must adopt and give a name.

Really, don't stress about it.

victoria
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: insects

Put repellant on at night. You can buy Autan in Bali which is effective. If your daughter has bad allergies I presume you will have an epipen to take with you .

Take a bex and lie down, stop worrying about minor things lt's the rabid dogs and monkeys you should be fearing ha ha.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: insects

Hi thesea

I won't reveal my source(lets just say women's business)but apparently research has shown that eating banana's increases the chance you will be bitten by mosquitos. I don't know where they did their research but the little 'buggers' have been having a good feed off me and i haven't eaten a single banana.

Just don't eat the bananas in Bali but do enjoy all the other wonderful fruit on offer.

Make sure you bring with you, your daughters allergic reaction medication.

I'll watch out for the Kung Fu ants!and Mr Miyagi(?spelling)thanks Noodles.

Cheers

Burns

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: insects

i haven't heard of any deadly insects in bali but you do get mites that can cause a skin reaction. they can be found in the 'hair' of some dolls/statues that are outside traditional rooms and in the cracks of bamboo furniture. when sitting on bamboo place thick garment (towel) on chair to avoid the bites. if bitten do your usual treatment.

5. Re: insects

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 23:52