We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

hi there

was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on a honeymoon in bali vs maldives.

what turns me off about maldives is the whole island is the resort..nothing else to do besides hang there.

im intriuged by the amanusa & amankila.

we're in our mid/late 20s and like a combo of relaxation & adventure.

thanx!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

Hi peanut we went to Sri Lanka and the Maldives for our honeymoon 22 years ago! so things would of changed I'm sure. But if the whole island is the resort as ours was, and you aren't totally into diving, or doing nothing, you will be very bored.

Like I said things change, but even island hopping wasn't much fun as Maldives was a very strict Muslim country, with the exception of the resort islands, so when we went to look at traditional villages I got into trouble!! and had to cover up, I felt very uncomfortable. Also it was very expensive to eat at the resort, even bottled water cost heaps.

Having said that we both dive, so we loved it!

I think going to Sri Lanka first and having all our adventures there, then chilling out in the Maldives was perfect, it worked for us, we're still happily married!

Maldives is the beach, diving and lazing around, perfect for doing nothing, because there is nothing to do.

Bali is what ever you want it to be, go up to Amed to laze around and dive, go to Ubud and it is jungle lush with hotels to die for, art, culture and amazing little cafes and restaurants, go to Kuta/Legian and shop till you drop, or there is Sanur, much calmer than Kuta, but still lots of shopping.

Don't try and compare Maldives and Bali they are so different, the first is your choice of a perfect island with pristine white sand, peaceful and quite, the other is a kaleidoscope of so many things.

Mumbai
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

Hi,

My query is exactly the same as your's.. I am planning a honeymoon in December. Confused between Bali and the Maldives.

If you confirm on something, could you please drop me a line at rohanghalla@gmail.com on what your choice is?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

We went to Bali in 2002 and again this month. We went to the Maldives in 2005. So I'd say our opinion would be fairly current.

If you want extreme luxury incredible service and the choice of loafing around or seeing thing then go to Bali.

If you want to sit on a beach and not much else then go to the Maldives.

The ONLY reason to choose the Maldives over Bali woulod be if you are divers.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

I'm just back from Bali. I didn't do much research and so was mega surprised to find out that there are around 4 million people on the island, the roads are full of trucks, the beaches are beaten by waves and / or have black sand. We had a fabulous time but for a honeymoon I would pick the Maldives every time - particularly if you just want to loll around. If you like snorkelling where I was (in the Maldives) you could walk out of your room, straight onto the beach and into an aquarium of a sea with white sand, lapping water and as warm as toast - in Bali you would be battered to smithereens!! But stayed at the Amankila and it was awesome - you wouldn't disappointed. Will write review and JBR this week. Oh and if I were going to the Maldives again I would do two islands for a bit of variety - and make sure your hotel has more than one restaurant choice.

Mumbai
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

hey,

Im also confused, planning my first anniversay trip and would like to go either to Maldives or Bali. How would the weather be in Bali in December...we'd like to do Winter sports....also how about Bintan resorts.....Please help. Looking for a cool sunny place with a little bit of activites and lovely beaches....

Thanks

E

Sydney
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

I also have been to both Maldives and Bali and the question comes down to what do you want to do on your honeymoon? Just laze around a beautiful white sand beach and swim, snorkel, but eat in the same restaurant every night - then go to Maldives.

For me Bali has so much more to offer. As much as I love laying around in the sun, Bali just gives you the choice to either do this, or go on adventures. The restaurant scene alone has us returning to Bali time and time again.

The Aman resorts are out of this world so you could have the absolute luxury, and then get out of the hotel and experience more of Bali. Also I think the people of Bali are so much more friendly than Maldives.

Maldives were stunning, beautiful, gorgeous, scenic etc, however something about Bali captures not only your heart, but you soul as well.

Sydney
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

I also have been to both Maldives and Bali and the question comes down to what do you want to do on your honeymoon? Just laze around a beautiful white sand beach and swim, snorkel, but eat in the same restaurant every night - then go to Maldives.

For me Bali has so much more to offer. As much as I love laying around in the sun, Bali just gives you the choice to either do this, or go on adventures. The restaurant scene alone has us returning to Bali time and time again.

The Aman resorts are out of this world so you could have the absolute luxury, and then get out of the hotel and experience more of Bali. Also I think the people of Bali are so much more friendly than Maldives.

Maldives were stunning, beautiful, gorgeous, scenic etc, however something about Bali captures not only your heart, but you soul as well.

victoria
Level Contributor
267 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

Have been to the "Maldives" & you are rite the WHOLE island is the resort.....but hey.....its heaven and for a honeymoon.....pretty special location. One week would be well & truly enough !Beautiful room & unbelievable aqua warm waters. Wotta week !!!!

Whereas Bali 14 nites, break it up into 7 days Seminyak , some where WOW..."Samaya" to stay.....do all the fab resturants there, stroll , take it all in..then up to Ubud...."Viceroy" Terrace Suite....meet a Belgian couple celebrating an anniversary....& its ment to be very spectular.Look at their website .

Good luck with choosing !!! Toss a coin !

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,851 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

Sorry Mumbai...Bali is in the tropics, there aren't any winter sports in Bali. December is in the middle of the Wet season - the humidity will be high and it may rain several times a day, or you might see only occasional rain. Temperatures will be in the high 20's during the day and mid 20's at night. If you stay in the mountains, ie Ubud, the temperatures will be slightly lower.

Hello fleetcat. If you were beaten around in the ocean, you must have been swimming on the west coast of Bali. If you had stayed on the east coast ie Sanur or anywhere right through to the north east coast ie Amed, you would have swum in calm waters and could have done some great snorkelling in the N East as well.

Bali does offer lots of alternatives and I'm sure if someone is looking for a beautiful, private honeymoon destination, Bali can do that too - check out the many luxury villas available in all areas.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,573 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bali vs maldives for honeymoon?

Mumbai - you will find an ice rink in Bali, although it's not ice, it's a 5cm thick layer of paraffin, so you won't need to bring your winter clothes. Cost if 25000Rp for an hour.