We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Learning to Surf in January

6 posts
Learning to Surf in January

I have a trip planned to Bali for four days in late January with my family. During our stay I would really like to take some surfing lessons possibly with my two sons aged 11 and 8. I have heard the beaches on the Western side are best for beginners learning to surf, however I have also heard they can become quite dirty during the wet season. I was wondering if it would be possible for us to learn somewhere else during our stay or would it still be OK to learn at Kuta at that time. None of us have surfed before but are very keen to try, just a little concerned about safety and health. We will likely be staying in Sanur. Have others taken beginner lessons in January? All thoughts and responses appreciated.

World Surfaris
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Bali Green Surf
Surfmania
5 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1. Re: Learning to Surf in January

I'm afraid all the West coast right in the middle of the wet season is covered in rubbish/debris. Apologies if I'm incorrect but you need to be able to swim to surf. There is no surfing in Sanur.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 07:37
2. Re: Learning to Surf in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 September 2018, 22:29

6 posts
3. Re: Learning to Surf in January

Yes, it seems that the waters on the West beaches aren't much of an option. I did receive a suggestion that it may be possible to learn at Nusa Lembongon. Does anyone have any experience or know about learning to surf there. What would the conditions be like in January? Is the water clean and would it be suitable for my two sons 11 and 8. Both are capable swimmers but haven't surfed before.

australia
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
4. Re: Learning to Surf in January

Hi, I am not a surfer and I realise you're looking for experienced replies. On YouTube there are videos when I googled "surfing on N.L." Maybe of interest. Have you calculated the cost of this exercise and do be back on Bali the day before your flight as ocean conditions could cancel your boat ride back (and to NL). Good luck.

Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Learning to Surf in January

I have had lessons on Lembongan via Newbro Surf..its a reef break so a tad easier than beach break. The guys at Newbro are great instructors one having surfed the Indo Pro circuit. I highly recommend these guys.

Reply to: Learning to Surf in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted