We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

I used my credit card to secure bookings on Booking.com. Two of these hotels automatically charged my card when I checked-in (they did this according to the emails sent to me, but these charges have not yet shown on my statement). But I looked at my statement and there is a charge for "Hotel on Booking.com Amsterdam NDL". The charge is for $50. This is equal to the cost for my hotel stay. Has anyone encountered something like this? I already messaged my parents and asked them to call and freeze international charges or cancel the card. Any advice?

44 replies to this topic
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,279 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

I've not had any problems with booking.com. I would make contact with them and voice your concerns. There has to be a reason for this charge.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

A lot of times hotels pre-authorize the charge on the card just to test whether the card is valid. It is not an actual charge but the amount is blocked from your card limit. This happens even if the booking option is pay later.

This pre authorization is reversed when you cancel the booking within the free cancellation period. Don't worry. It is not a fraud. Happens to me all the time.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

The charge was made on August 4th. I have since checked-in and checked-out of all hotels.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
869 reviews
4. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

I too would contact booking.com as it is highly unlikely that a hotel would commit credit card fraud. There is probably a very simple explanation for this as mentioned above. FYI, reversing a charge can take a couple of weeks. Booking,com will communicate with the hotel to sort this out for you. Furthermore, for a mere $50 a hotel would not cheat a guest knowing that they would be blacklisted by Booking.com. I expect that there will be a logical explanation for what has happened and if the hotel is at fault then they would rectify the problem quickly. Contact Booking.com first.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

I sent a message to Booking.com and am awaiting a response. I just find it odd that I booked with hotels in Bali and yet there is a charge for Amsterdam. This is what's worrying me.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,279 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

Amsterdam is the headquarters for booking.com..

Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

Like previous people have said there is probably a valid reason for this . It would be very unlikely a hotel in Bali or booking .com would intentionally do this .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

Its ok... Most likely a security deposit for your room. if you didn't ask for a refund of deposit at check out it might get refunded to your card within two months. its very normal. after 2 months chase them up again.

Always use credit card for hotels and never use debt credit cards.

HK
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

I have similar experience with Booking.com. 2 months ago I booked an hotel in Austria, the term is free cancellation until 2 days before arrival, but I need to provide credit card details for pre-authorisation purpose to guarantee the booking. I thought it's common practice so I booked anyway. Later I found from bank statement that my credit card was charged 50% of room rate by the hotel, though almost immediately, the same amount was returned to my card. However,such action already cost me losing around 100 Euro due to bank charge plus exchange rate difference . I have reflected such experience to Booking.com for clarification yet still have not received any response from them. I also made a claim with my bank and is waiting for outcome.

1 post
10. Re: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com

This is not just a pre-authorised payment. It IS fraud. The same thing happened to me - three separate transactions, two months after my last stays and weird amounts, too: 254, 127 and 127 Euros. The first two transactions on the 19th of August, the final 127,00 EUR transaction two days later on the 21st. Unlike in your case, these charges did not match any of my previous bookings, whether cancelled or paid. I contacted my bank who blocked the transactions as well as my credit card, but have now told me that booking.com did not accept the return of the transactions and wants me to fill out a huge form explaining what happened. My guess is that someone used my details after booking.com had received them. It's either a hotel who previously received them from booking.com, booking.com themselves hoping it goes unnoticed, or someone who accessed the booking system to obtain the data. Either way, it should be booking.com who up their security and at the very least respond to my emails, which so far they haven't. I will NEVER. EVER. use them again for as long as I live or as long as they are around, whichever ends first, and tell everyone who will listen to avoid them like the plague. And this is after previously having had positive experiences with them.

PS No Malware on my PC either, never even used public wifi. So there you go.

Reply to: Credit card fraud by hotel booked on Booking.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted