We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for alternative to Gili

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Hello! My friends and I are traveling to Bali in a few weeks. Original plan was Ubud, Gili, and then Seminyak for 10 days. After reading about Gili we chose to cancel that leg. Now we need another location to visit. Any recommendations? We are looking for beautiful beaches and relaxation. Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Orange County...
Level Contributor
747 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Hi. Have you had a read through the thread right below yours? There are recommendations for alternatives to Gili.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29422…

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Thanks for letting me know about the thread. I didn’t see it when I was searching through the forums.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Hi Marita,

for another Island then go for Nusa Lembongan. Good tourist infrastructure. Fastboat companies will include free pickup from Ubud (often only central point at Coco Supermarket) and free dropoff on return at your Seminyak hotel.

www.rockyfastcruise.com often touted as best company. There are others like www.scootcruise.com

www.newbrosurfing.com do group snorkeling trips to Manta Bay for IDR200k. Can also arrange day trips to Penida.

ON BALI

Depends on your interests.

Not 'beautiful beaches" - Bali isn't famed for its beaches anyway - but if you'd like some snorkeling and chillaxing consider Amed.

Amed is the place to go for diving/snorkeling and chillaxing.

Amed covers ~ 10km of coastline. Some accommodation can be isolated. Lipah Beach and Jemeluk Bay popular Areas to stay. Lipah has the sandier beach but Jemeluk Bay is very Long with a large choice of accommodation and Warungs.

Snorkeling straight from the beach. At Jemeluk Bay, anywhere along the beach, only Need to go out ~ 10m or so and already snorkeling 1m above the reef:

Can visit Tirta Gangga Water Palace and Pura Lempuyang temples (~ 20mins away). Taman Ujung also not far away.

Can also fit in White sand/Virgin Beach as part of a day trip. Nice place to visit at end (not far form Ujung) for a swim, some fish and a beer. As long as you buy something at one of the warungs (there are loads) you get free use of the sunbeds.

The sand is whiter than many other Bali beaches and on nice sunny days the sea appears a nice azure blue.

In Amed We stay at Kembali Beach Bungalows in Jemeluk bay.

http://kembalibeachbungalows.nl/

Despite others 'worries' about recent events I booked a flight to Bali yesterday for November (second trip this year - went in May) and will be going to Amed for 9 days diving (Mrs Pigsty is cruising in Hawaii). I'm going to give the Camessa a go.

https://camessahotelamed.com/

Edited: 08 August 2018, 14:04
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Thank you so much for your feedback! I appreciate it.

london
Level Contributor
985 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

We absolutely love Eastern Bali , it’s so beautiful and rural and the people are amazing. If you have never diver would highly recommend that you give it a go , the underwater world is just as beautiful.

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Nice write up nota :)

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for alternative to Gili

Thank you!!