We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

I'm booked to stay on Nusa Lembongan from 10th - 13th August. Does any know what the situation is there regarding the earthquakes? I can't find much information online. I'm a bit worried about the tsunami warnings, is Lembongan a flat island?

Thanks a lot

8 replies to this topic
fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

Morning. Perhaps you should read the specific Earthquake thread where there are people who are there on Lembongan right now. Where are you staying there?

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

Sorry, I've got really limited internet at the moment and can't load the threads.

I'm booked to stay at Bong Hostel, Br. Ancak, Lembongan

Thanks!

Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

I had contact with friends on Lembongan yesterday and everything is fine...there was never a risk of a tsunami there.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
734 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

If it's helpful, here is a link to one of the threads with feedback from Nusa Lembongan. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29422…

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

Thank you, that's reassuring!

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

Sorry I’m not sure where it is, but it looks high up, looks lovely. Anyway, there is no concern so just go and enjoy , it’s a fun place x

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

The northern part of Lembongan is quite low lying and flat but the southern part is elevated and hilly. I haven't heard of any damage there but am keen to find out as we are returning to Lembongan and Penida in September.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning

Thanks a lot everyone :) bit nervous solo traveling at this time!

I emailed the dive company on Nusa Lembongan I'm booked with and they said this:

"Regarding the earthquake and tsunami alert. This is what exactly happens here. If you quickly look in a word map, you will see that we are in sandwich between Bali and Nusa Penida. There is no tsunami from those sides. From the south / South east, if we have a tsunami coming (that will be the only “real” access for the waves), this side of the island has a cliff, the tsunami will have some trouble to pass it! 😊

We are located north, at the beginning of the Mangrove forest, natural barrier of tsunami (and our forest is large…).

Now, that we have talked about the risk of tsunami in Lembongan, what happens in Lombok where the earthquake happens is that they immediately had a tsunami of 10 to 30 cm depending on the location at the north coast of Lombok, at the epicenter. In other word, you couldn’t see it but it has been recorded as unnormal activity. That’s it for the tsunami alert that has been canceled 2 hours after being announce.

At the opposite of Lombok, we have suffer no damage here, nobody got hurts and the activity is normal. Lombok has about a 100 death as many houses collapse. The north of Lombok is a poor area with very basic construction that couldn’t afford the shakes."

Hope this is reassuring for other people too.

X

Reply to: Nusa Lembongan earthquake and tsunami warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted