We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

Kochi
Level Contributor
6 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

Travelling to Bali in 2 weeks with wife and 2 sons. My older son has severe allergy to sea food. I know there are a lot of similar questions asked on this subject on this forum. My questions however are slightly different:-

(a) Because I am from India (where Epipens are not available across the counter), is it possible to buy an epipen in Bali?

(b) Which are the good hospitals with emergency OP facilities?

(c) Could any Indian tourist who has availed emergency medical aid in Bali throw some light on which Indian travel Insurance is best suited?

(d) How safe are the ready made sandwiches one could buy in supermarkets? Are the chicken or other non sea food sandwiches likely to have traces of fish sauce and sea food as well?

(e) Are there enough Burger Kings and Mc Donalds in and around Kuta?

During one holiday in Thailand, he had to be rushed to an ICU after consuming some sea food. So I am really worried and would like to ensure he stays safe and our holidays remain enjoyable.

Please help. Many thanks in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

Hi Rramesh,

Firstly need to know exactly where you are staying.

Some larger hotels have inhouse doctor.

Bring a doctors note highlighting your sons problems. This will make it a lot easier if visitng a doctor/hospital to get epipens.

There are various BIMC Medical centres around.

Plenty of Burger Kings and Mcdonalds but they also sell fish so chance of cross contamination. Plenty of other fast food places like KFC.

There are some Indian restaurants that cater also for Jain and vegetarian so might have separate kitchens.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,706 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

Have you considered visiting a country where you can purchase an epipen so you're prepared in case of an incident? Singapore may be? To me this would seem to be a preferred option. Sorry if I'm being naive but it all seems a bit risky otherwise. Contact BIMC prior to your trip and ask if they can supply one.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

Hi Ramesh, Epipens aren't available over the counter here either, but with a doctor's prescription you can get them. Can't you do the same in India so you can travel over with a couple of spare ones? I would not trust ready made sandwiches or food anywhere in Bali. Apart from the possibility of cross contamination, they may be loaded with bacteria in a tropical country. Yes Burger Kings and Mcdonalds may also have cross contamination, so I would stick to the vegetarian restaurants which you can find in Bali. Not too difficult in the touristy areas. Hopefully also you have some accommodation where you can cook yourself. If you book a villa there will be a kitchen attached. The term "rushed to hospital" would not apply in Bali. The traffic can be so difficult that it would take a long time to get to hospital, so you really need to avoid the problem yourself

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice

On my last trip to India I forgot my Epipen so just went to doctors got script and purchased 2 from the hospital near by. Might be better to take with you as they will then have your info on the stickers.

Reply to: Help me with urgent medical and travel related advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted