We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

We are supposed to travel to Bali on Wednesday travelling to Ubud, Lovina, Candidasa is it safe or is it wise to cancel?

21 replies to this topic
Norfolk UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

I understand your concerns, it is scary when these events happen.

Nobody can really tell you what to do.

All I can say to you is, we are going in 9 weeks and we will be going ahead with our trip.

My advice would be to research the area that you are staying in, find out where the nearest safety zones are should an event occur and have a plan :-)

But remember, the odds of experiencing a major quake are slim and the odds of tsunami are even slimmer.

If I were you I would go to Bali, enjoy the lovely country, culture and the people.

Just go well planned and well informed, knowledge will help you to relax more and enjoy your stay.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Indonesia is located on the same ring of fire that it always has been. There will always be risk of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, nothing has changed.

If you are concerned or uncomfortable about your trip, then you should consider cancelling. However, tens of thousands of tourists are arriving in Bali every day.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
869 reviews
3. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

As Bali is on the ring of fire which is a submergence zone where one tectonic plate submerges beneath another, there are always volcanoes and earthquakes, I mean since hundred of millions of years ago. And since earthquakes are completely unpredictable, you need to decide yourself if you wish to visit Bali. Note that other countries such as the Philippines and Japan are also susceptible to earthquakes and tsunamis.

As it is now, everyone in Bali is out enjoying themselves at the beach, doing tours of the islands and enjoying candle-lit dinners watching the sunset.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Our group of 5 arrived in Candidasa mid afternoon on Saturday. Since the major 6.9 event on Lombok on Sunday evening which was strongly felt here and has caused sparse minor damage we have continued to experience aftershocks. Some stronger than others. The larger of these being in the low 5 range of magnitude. 2 of this strength overnight.

As the others have commented Bali life is carrying on as normal. I write this information as someone who is experiencing the actual situation here now.

Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Thank you for your kind feedback we really appreciate it!

3 posts
6. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Hello all. Any updates on scuba diving in Bali? Are they still being conducted?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

We are leaving in 2 weeks and going ahead with the trip to Bali. I just confirmed with Hotels/transfers in Ubud and Kuta and they say all is well in Bali just felt aftershocks. Also just planned all travel insurance and medical as well. We are excited about the trip to, Bali

Edited: 08 August 2018, 18:46
Mellieha, Malta
Level Contributor
4 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Thanks for feedback.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,496 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

Re post 6. Lots of scuba diving happening in Bali. It was a perfect day at Tulamben yesterday, flat seas and lots of divers. What made you think an earthquake elsewhere would stop diving?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,326 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip

.... and day before yesterday at short notice booked myself a flight/accommodation in Amed for 9 days to go Diving in November.

Nobody can predict the future as far as these natural occurrences are concerned so whether or not something will happen next week is as much an unknown as whether anything will happen in November.

Ironically people ask about Tsunami warnings and how long they have ... well if I'm diving I'll have no idea until the 25m of water I'm diving in turns to 1m... bit too late then.

Reply to: Earthquake in Bali shall we cancel Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted