We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Currency

I'm changing up some GBP to IDR tomorrow in London for the first few days we're in Bali, but what denominations would you recommend? I don't want to get a load of IDR 100,000 notes if i'll just be getting loads of change everywhere. I'm planning on getting around £200 so roughly IDR 3.75m.

We are in Seminyak first so will be using the cash for beach clubs mainly and also taxis.

9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Currency

Bear in mind that 3.75m is a slab of 37 100,000 notes. If you get smaller denominations you will have a bigger wad of cash. 100,000 is the way to go IMO. Maybe get some smaller notes for taksis if you can but those beach clubs charge high prices so 100,000s would be appropriate.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,148 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Currency

Hi Kieran,

If you can get 3.75m for 200quid then that's a decent rate but when I checked last week and the difference between the Post Office and say www.centralkutabali.com was ~ 6 beers per 100 quid. So that's's 10-12 beers you'll throw away.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 20:46
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,148 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Currency

UK Postoffice is 204quid gets you 3.5m

So IDR250k less than Bali or 10 small beers

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Currency

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there anywhere that wouldn't accept 100k notes? For example paying with a £50 note in a corner shop in England would be frowned upon...

I know I would get a better rate locally, but I would feel more comfortable travelling with some cash for when we arrive. Perhaps I will only get £100's worth of IDR.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Currency

No offence but Indonesia's largest banknote is only worth a few pounds.

Why wouldn't you get 100k motes.

I go through tens of them in one day.

PS: Cash is King in Bali and all motes big and small are accepted everywhere.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 20:59
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Currency

As a tourist you are not going to eat from a warung or buy a cigarette from roadside vendor, a cigarette not a pack of cigarettes.

So no, you want have problem using that 100k note

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,148 posts
89 reviews
7. Re: Currency

Hi Kieran,

IDR100k is only a fiver.

Really no reason to change any money. Don't throw away 6beers.

Canberra
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
1 review
8. Re: Currency

In Bali, hang on to those small notes you get as change from mini marts and department stores.

Taxi drivers in Bali always claim not to have change when you offer a Rp 100,000 note. Their expectation is that you will pay the fare eg Rp 25,000 and give them a Rp 75,000 tip.

With small notes, you can pay the taxi driver a fare closer to the metered price.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
868 reviews
9. Re: Currency

Firstly, I would never exchange my GBP to IDR in the UK since you'll likely get a lousy exchange rate. I would change a little at Bali Airport and the rest at one of the reputable money changers in Bali such as Central Kuta Money Exchange where they are honest and give very good rates. I am guessing the rates you'll get in Bali are around £1 to IDR18,600 or thereabouts since the pound has decreased very slightly recently.

For the denominations, as pointed out above, IDR100k is only about £5.50 and everyone has change for an IDR100k note. Also, I prefer to carry fewer notes around with me. So rather than carrying lots of smaller denominations around with you better to carry the big ones to Bali and just use them in Bali to get the smaller denominations in change. At least stick to IDR100k and IDR50k notes which is probably what you'd get at UK money changers anyway.

Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted